Poplar and Limehouse (UK Parliament constituency)
Poplar and Limehouse is a constituency[n 1] created in 2010. Since its creation it has been represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament by Jim Fitzpatrick, a member of the Labour Party.[n 2]
|Poplar and Limehouse|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Poplar and Limehouse in Greater London
|Electorate||74,919 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Jim Fitzpatrick (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Poplar & Canning Town, Bethnal Green & Bow|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
- Political history
The predecessors to this constituency (area electing MPs to the House of Commons) (see history of boundaries) since 1992 have elected Labour Party representatives. In 2010, Jim Fitzpatrick had a majority of 12.9% over the runner-up Conservative Party candidate.
The 2015 re-election of Fitzpatrick made the seat the 66th safest of Labour's 232 seats by percentage of majority.
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies which proposed the seat's creation for the 2010 general election, since when it has consisted of the following electoral wards:
- Blackwall and Cubitt Town, Bromley-by-Bow, East India and Lansbury, Limehouse, Mile End East, Millwall, St Katharine’s and Wapping, and Shadwell within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets
History of boundariesEdit
- Before 2010, this constituency would map into all but the north-east of the old Poplar and Canning Town constituency, plus the western end of Shadwell Ward and in the west the whole of St Katharine's & Wapping Ward, formerly parts of Bethnal Green and Bow.
Alternative names, including "Tower Hamlets South" and "Poplar and Millwall" were rejected following public consultation.
The constituency and its predecessor seats covering the Isle of Dogs have consistently been won by the Labour Party since the 1920s. The district has changed vastly over this time, and great wealth and considerable poverty now co-exist side by side.
Once home to shipping and heavy industry, the Docklands area was derelict for many years, before redevelopment began in the late 1980s. Now the area around Canary Wharf is one of the country's largest financial districts and has several landmark skyscrapers, such as One Canada Square.
The redevelopment of the Docklands has led to the construction of luxury housing in the constituency, which has somewhat altered the demographics. However, in parts of the Isle of Dogs and in the areas north, east and west of Poplar, there are still areas of high deprivation.
At the end of 2012, 6% of the population of the constituency were unemployment benefit claimants, ranking sixth among London seats (the highest percentage was Tottenham at 7.9%), and above the London-wide average of 3.9%.
In the 2016 EU referendum, the constituency voted 65.79% for Remain.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Elaine Bagshaw||3,959||6.7||+2.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Elaine Bagshaw||2,149||4.2||-6.9|
|Red Flag Anti-Corruption||Rene Claudel Mugenzi||89||0.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Fryer||5,209||11.2||N/A|
|English Democrat||Andrew Osborne||470||1.0||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- "Electoral Calculus". www.electoralcalculus.co.uk.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- "Poplar and Limehouse, UK Parliament Constituency". 11 January 2019.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 2)
- "Poplar & Limehouse parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election results for Poplar & Limehouse, 7 May 2015". 7 May 2015.
- Statement of Persons Nominated Archived 2010-05-02 at the Wayback Machine, Tower Hamlets Council
- Poplar and Limehouse, UKPollingReport
- "ED Candidate list".
- BBC News (2010-05-07). Election 2010 | Constituency | Poplar & Limehouse. Retrieved 2010-05-07.