Poplar and Canning Town (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Poplar and Canning Town was a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
|Poplar and Canning Town|
|Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Poplar and Canning Town in Greater London for the 2005 general election
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Poplar and Limehouse, West Ham|
|Created from||Bow and Poplar, Newham South|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
The constituency was created in 1997 general election from the constituencies of Bow and Poplar and Newham South, and was divided at the 2010 general election between the realigned seat of Poplar and Limehouse and the neighbouring West Ham seat. It was held by the Labour Party for the entire period of its existence.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- London Borough of Newham: Beckton, Canning Town and Grange, Custom House and Silvertown, Ordnance.
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets: Blackwall, Bromley, East India, Lansbury, Limehouse, Millwall, Shadwell.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in North London, the Boundary Commission for England recommended the creation of an altered Poplar and Limehouse seat, to be fought at the 2010 general election.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|2010||Constituency abolished: see Poplar and Limehouse|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Janet Ludlow||4,072||10.4||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Jacklyn Joseph||551||1.4||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Alexi Sugden||3,795||11.1||+0.8|
|Socialist Alliance||Kambiz Boomla||950||2.8||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Janet Ludlow||5,420||13.9||+2.8|
|Independent||Md. Aminul Hoque||815||2.1||N/A|
|Christian Peoples||Simeon Ademolake||470||1.2||N/A|
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 2)
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.