Poissy (French: [pwasi] (listen)) is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France in north-central France. It is located in the western suburbs of Paris, 23.8 km (14.8 mi) from the centre of Paris. Inhabitants are called Pisciacais.
|Intercommunality||CU Grand Paris Seine et Oise|
|• Mayor (2020-2026)||Karl Olive|
|13.28 km2 (5.13 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,000/km2 (7,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||17–171 m (56–561 ft) |
(avg. 27 m or 89 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
In 1561 it was the site of a fruitless Catholic-Huguenot conference, the Colloquy of Poissy. It is known for hosting the Automobiles Gregoire successively, Matford, Ford SAF, Simca, Chrysler, Talbot factories and now hosts one of France's largest Peugeot factories. The "Simca Poissy engine" was made here.
Poissy is the 165th most populated city in Metropolitan France.
Poissy is located about 30 kilometers west of Paris, in the northeastern part of the Yvelines, 8 kilometers west of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, and 23 kilometers northwest of Versailles, the departmental prefecture.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- Rochas (Procter & Gamble) now Fareva
- Environnement SA
- Transport and logistics:
- Casino cafétéria
- Groupe Derichebourg,
Technoparc is a Business Park created in 1990, with the intention to facilitate the economic diversification of the city. It occupies about 66 acres on the northeast of PSA Peugeot Citroën factory, bordering the neighbouring commune Achères. The Park welcomes 150 companies employing a total of 2,000 employees. It also hosts The Charles-de-Gaulle High School and The Training Centre for the Employees in Pharmacy (ACPPAV) gathering 1,500 high school students and students. Two business incubator, a heliport, the Chamber of Commerce of Yvelines-Val d'Oise, two hotels, a sports centre and a municipal technical centre are also located there.
- Musée du jouet, shows 800 games and toys dating between 1850 and 1950.
- Musée d'art et d'histoire.
- La salle Molière (theater);
- Library Christine de Pizan;
- Library André-Malraux.
Poissy in filmEdit
- La Porteuse de pain (1963) ;
- La Demoiselle d'Avignon (1972) ;
- La Tribu (1990)
- Les Grands Ducs (1996) ;
- Le Ciel, les oiseaux et... ta mère ! (1998) ;
- Le Cerveau ;
- From Paris with Love (2009) ;
- Turk's Head (2010) ;
- Serial Teachers (2013) ;
- Le Mystère des jonquilles (2014) ;
- French Blood (2015);
- Dheepan (2015) ;
Poissy has ten public preschools, ten public elementary schools, two junior high schools, two senior high schools, a combined junior-senior high school, along with a private preschool and elementary school.
Public secondary schools:
- Collège les Grands-Champs
- SEGPA les Grands-Champs
- Collège Jean Jaurès
- Lycée Adrienne Bolland
- Lycée Charles de Gaulle
- Collège et Lycée Le Corbusier
Private elementary schools:
- Institution Notre-Dame preschool and elementary school
Poissy is twinned with:
- Saint Louis (1214–1270), king of France
- Guillaume Lasceux (1740–1831), composer and organist
- Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier (1815–1891), painter, sculptor and mayor of Poissy
- Ibrahim Diaw, handball player
- Florent Groberg, U.S. Army Medal of Honor recipient
- Matteo Guendouzi footballer
- Catherine Lara, singer born in 1945
- Houssine Kharja, Moroccan football player born in 1982
- Benjamin Franklin resided in Poissy for a time while envoy to France during the American Revolutionary War
- Jérôme Phojo, footballer
- Fabien Raddas, footballer
- Yohann Sangare, basketball player
- Christophe Jaffrelot, political scientist and indologist
- Olivier Lombard, racing driver
- The golf of Béthemont
- Stadium Léo-Lagrange, built in 1945
- Swimming pool des Migneaux and swimming pool Saint-Exupéry
- AS Poissy
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Poissy, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Noyau de Poissy website (in French)
- "French Blood (2015) - IMDb".
- "Les établissements scolaires ." Poissy. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.