Penn Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
Municipal Building. June 2015.
|• Total||18.98 sq mi (49.15 km2)|
|• Land||18.48 sq mi (47.87 km2)|
|• Water||0.49 sq mi (1.27 km2)|
|Elevation||459 ft (140 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||111.71/sq mi (43.13/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 19.1 square miles (49.4 km²), of which, 18.6 square miles (48.1 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km²) of it (2.57%) is water.
- Upper Tulpehocken Township (northwest)
- Upper Bern Township (north)
- Centre Township (northeast)
- Bern Township (southeast)
- Lower Heidelberg Township (far south)
- North Heidelberg Township (southwest)
- Jefferson Township (west)
The borough of Bernville, Pennsylvania lies between Penn Township and Jefferson Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,993 people, 714 households, and 571 families residing in the township. The population density was 107.3 people per square mile (41.4/km²). There were 744 housing units at an average density of 40.0/sq mi (15.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.39% White, 0.75% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.50% Asian, 0.55% from other races, and 0.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.06% of the population.
There were 714 households, out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.3% were married couples living together, 3.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 16.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.12.
|Source: US Census Bureau|
In the township the population was spread out, with 25.5% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 27.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 104.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $55,000, and the median income for a family was $62,721. Males had a median income of $41,821 versus $26,010 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,621. About 2.5% of families and 3.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/ The National Map, retrieved 31 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 280, retrieved 31 October 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penn Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania.|