Payal Ghosh (born 13 November 1989) is an Indian actress who has recently made her debut into Bollywood.
Payal Ghosh in 2018
When she was 17 years old, she had accompanied a friend to an audition for Sharpe's Peril and landed a role in the BBC Telefilm. In the period drama based on English soldier Richard Sharpe, Payal had played a village girl, the daughter of a revolutionary freedom fighter from Bengal. Payal also starred in a Canadian film in which she played a school girl in love with her neighbour's servant. Since her parents disapproved of her decision to join films, during her college holidays, she ran away from her home in Calcutta and came to Mumbai. She joined Namit Kishore's acting academy, where she met Chandra Sekhar Yeleti who offered her the lead role in his Prayanam, opposite Manchu Manoj. Later, she was seen in the Telugu films Mr. Rascal and Oosaravelli and the Kannada film Varshadhare.
She completed her first Tamil film Therodum Veedhiyile, directed by Saro Sriram, in which played a traditional girl, who lives in Erode. She was selected as the female lead by Vivek Agnihotri for his Bollywood film Freedom and filmed for it in 2012. She signed another Hindi comedy film, Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi opposite Vir Das, directed by Sanjay Chhel. which released worldwide on 15 September 2017.
In April 2020, she stated that she was out of work, financially broke, and was leading a life she had never imagined.
In September 2020, Ghosh accused Anurag Kashyap of sexually harassing her in 2014 and filed a case. Kashyap dismissed the allegations as baseless, calling it an attempt to silence him from criticizing the government. Kashyap denied all allegations in the FIR during an interrogation with the Mumbai police.
In October actor Richa Chadha filed defamation suit in Bombay High Court against Payal Ghosh seeking ₹1.1 Crore damages for attempting to drag Chadha's name into the Ghosh's allegation against Kashyap. After Payal Ghosh gave an un-conditional apology to Richa Chadha for her defamatory remarks, Bombay HC recorded the settlement of the case.
|2017||Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi||Pooja||Hindi|
|TBA||Koi Jaane Na||TBA||Hindi||Filming|
|2016||Saath Nibhaana Saathiya||Radhika|
- "Exclusive Interview With Harika (Payal Ghosh) - Interviews". CineGoer.com. 16 June 2009. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Payal Ghosh makes her debut with industry veterans-Times of India". TimesofInia.indiantimes.com. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "Southern Sirens". Telegraphindia.com. 3 September 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "South actress Payal Ghosh debuts in Sanjay Chhel's untitled Hindi film". The Indian Express. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- k.r. manigandan (16 September 2012). "A step forward". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Payal ghosh to make her Bollywood debut - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 22 December 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Telugu actress to make her Bollywood debut - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Payal Ghosh is 'financially broken, living a life never imagined'". www.msn.com. Retrieved 16 October 2020.
- "Payal Ghosh: Anurag Kashyap got naked in front of me". Times of India (Entertainment). Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Desk, India com Entertainment (23 September 2020). "Payal Ghosh Alleges 'Rape' in FIR Against Anurag Kashyap, Filmmaker To Appear For Interrogation". India News, Breaking News, Entertainment News | India.com. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- ""Baseless," Tweets Anurag Kashyap After Actress Payal Ghosh Accuses Him Of Sexual Harassment". NDTV. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Service, Tribune News. "'Don't misuse liberty', Richa Chadha counters Payal Ghosh over allegations of 'Fukrey' actor 'being intimate' with Anurag Kashyap". Tribuneindia News Service. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Anurag Kashyap denies all allegations in statement to Mumbai police, seeks severe action against Payal Ghosh for 'misusing the criminal justice system' - Times of India ►". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Kashyap, Nitish (6 October 2020). "Actor Richa Chadha Files Defamation Suit Against Payal Ghosh Seeking Rs 1.1 Crores Damages". www.livelaw.in. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- Kashyap, Nitish (14 October 2020). "Payal Ghosh Tenders Unconditional Apology To Richa Chadha For Defamatory Remarks; Bombay HC Records Settlement". www.livelaw.in. Retrieved 16 October 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Payal Ghosh.|