Pälkäne is a municipality of Finland. It is part of the Pirkanmaa region. The municipality has a population of 6,408 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 738.15 square kilometres (285.00 sq mi) of which 177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi). The population density is 11.43 inhabitants per square kilometre (29.6/sq mi). Onkkaala is the administrative center of the municipality. Tampere is located 38 kilometres (24 mi) northwest of the center of Pälkänen.
Ruins of the medieval church in Pälkäne
Location of Pälkäne in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Esko Arasalo|
|• Total||738.15 km2 (285.00 sq mi)|
|• Land||560.49 km2 (216.41 sq mi)|
|• Water||177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi)|
|Area rank||152nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||148th largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.43/km2 (29.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.5%|
|• 15 to 64||55.9%|
|• 65 or older||29.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.5%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Many people from Helsinki and the surrounding cities own summer cottages and residences in Pälkäne, making the small town very busy during summer vacation seasons. Pälkäne is a very popular summer vacation resort given its diverse services, high-quality swimming beach, beautiful nature and close location to big cities. From start of year 2007 Pälkäne and Luopioinen were merged to a new municipality of Pälkäne.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
Media related to Pälkäne at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pälkäne – Official website