This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
Oil and gas explorationEdit
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) operates an oil well in the LGA. Eastern Network Gas Pipeline (Alscon pipeline) passes through Oyigbo in the north.:5 Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC and the Rivers State Government under Gov. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi pledged to work together to restore production activities at the Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC operated Oyigbo Gas Plant. On November 1, 2013, citing considerable health and safety risk to people, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SPDC), JV shut down Oyigbo gas plant over encroachment on the right-of-way of gas pipelines.
On June 28, 2015, SPDC JV's announced that its Afam VI located in Okoloma village of Oyigbo had delivered 20 million MWh of electricity into the national grid and created over 150 jobs.
In popular cultureEdit
"The Day... starts with Sam growing up in Oyigbo, near Port-Harcourt, a vibrant community only identified as O. in the book. The author’s choice of 'O' could be a distanciation technique, as there are several towns around Port-Harcourt with names beginning with O, such as Okrika, Ogbogoro, Old Banana or Onne, to mention a few. However, the description of the blocks of residence and the environment recognisably describes Oyigbo, 'lying east of Port Harcourt, south of the new highway [A3 motorway] that runs from Aba to Port Harcourt, and west of the murky Imo River'" (p. 8).
- Odimegwu Onwumere (31 Oct 2008). "Grassroots Politics, Precious Oforji's Example". Modern Ghana Media Communication Limited. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Prince Oswald Nwaji (July 22, 2009). "Peaceful Oyigbo". The Port Harcourt Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Odimegwu Onwumere (12 Dec 2008). "Shell Neglects Shell Road In Oyigbo L.G. A". Modern Ghana Media Communication Limited. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Role of Nigerian Gas Company in the Nigerian Electricity Industry" (PDF). nipptransactions.com. June 2013.
- "NNPC, Rivers Government Move to Resuscitate Oyigbo Gas Plant". nnpcgroup.com.
- "SPDC JV shuts down Obigbo gas plant over encroachment on the right-of-way of gas pipelines". shell.com.ng.
- "SPDC JV's Afam VI delivers 20million MWh electricity into national grid…creates over 150 jobs". shell.com.ng.
- "Sola Adeyemi". Goldsmiths, University of London. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "The Day Ends Like Any Day | A Review by Sola Adeyemi – Africa Book Link". africabooklink.com. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
|This Rivers State location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|