Owerri West is a Local Government Area of Imo State, Nigeria. Its headquarters are in the town of Umuguma. Owerri West Local Government is administered under the terms of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Elections to the office of the Chairman of the local government are held through nominations by registered political parties as stipulated by the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, under the supervision of Imo State Electoral Commission. Owerri West was carved out of the former Owerri Local Government Area in 1996. A very large portion of the local government constitute the capital city of Imo State, Nigeria.
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
It has an area of 295 km2 and a population of 99,265 at the 2006 census.
Prominent locations in Owerri West include:
- Federal Polytechnic Nnekede, Owerri (FPNO)
- Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO)- located at Ihiagwa and Eziobodo as the two major host communities with Okolochi, Obinze and Emeabiam as the minor host communities.
- Nekede Zoo
- Nekede Divisional Police
- Federal Secretariat - located at Umuguma along Port Harcourt Road
- State Secretariat
- General Hospital Umuguma
- World Bank Housing Estates Umuguma, Area L, M, N
- Federal Housing Estate Umuguma
- Imo State Housing Estate Umuguma
- Concorde Hotel
The Owerri West Local Government Headquarters is situated at the heart of Umuguma community by the central market square.
|This Imo State, Nigeria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|