Owamagbe Odighizuwa (born April 1, 1992) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the New York Giants in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. He played college football at UCLA.
Odighizuwa with the New York Giants in 2016
|Born:||April 1, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||270 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||David Douglas|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 3 / Pick: 74|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Odighizuwa was born in Columbus, Ohio. At the age of 3, he moved to his parents' native country of Nigeria to live with family in the heart of Benin City. He returned to the United States five years later, moving to Portland, Oregon in 2001. He grew up playing soccer in Nigeria, and by the time he reached junior high in the David Douglas School District, he was more into track & field and basketball. It wasn't until eighth grade that he decided to play football. He attended David Douglas High School, playing all four seasons for the school. As a senior, he made 90 tackles, including 10 sacks, and recorded 96 tackles, 22 for loss, as a junior. He was selected to play in the 2010 U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. And was one of a handful of national players named an All-American by USA Today. In track & field, Odighizuwa competed as a sprinter (7.44 in the 60m and 11.8 in the 100m) and as a shot putter (top-throw of 48-7 or 14.86m).
Considered a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Odighizuwa was rated as the second best weakside defensive end prospect of his class, and drew comparisons to Osi Umenyiora. He accepted a scholarship offer to play college football from UCLA on 2010 National Signing Day.
In 2010, he made six starts as a true freshman for the Bruins, recording 10 tackles and three sacks for the season. In 2011, he appeared in all 14 games, recording 21 tackles including three for loss. In 2012, he saw action in all 14 games, recording 44 tackles, including six for loss and 3.5 sacks. He missed the entire 2013 season recovering from right hip surgery, garnering himself a medical redshirt. He returned in 2014, completely recovered from his injury. He recorded 61 tackles, including 11.5 for loss, six sacks, and five pass breakups, earning himself second-team All-Pac-12 honors.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 1⁄2 in
|33 3⁄4 in
|4.62 s||1.61 s||2.69 s||4.19 s||7.36 s||39 in
|10 ft 7 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
New York GiantsEdit
Odighizuwa was drafted by the New York Giants in the third round with the 74th overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft. Comparisons were immediately made between Odighizuwa and former Giants defensive end Justin Tuck, as they were both drafted in the third round as the 74th overall pick in the draft after falling due to injury concerns, and because it was believed that Odighizuwa, like Tuck, could shift inside on passing downs as part of a 4 DE pass rush. Unfortunately, due to injuries, his rookie season became essentially a redshirt season for Odighizuwa, as he ended the season on IR.
On August 28, 2017, Odighizuwa was suspended the first four games of the 2017 season for violating the league's performance enhancing drugs policy. The next day, he was released by the Giants.
- Odighizuwa a name to remember
- David Douglas' Owamagbe Odighizuwa is taking his thing national
- Odighizuwa living All-American dream
- Owamagbe Odighizuwa - Yahoo Sports
- National signing day: Owamagbe Odighizuwa wears an orange shirt on national TV, then picks UCLA
- UCLA defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa to sit out the 2013 season
- Lineman Owamagbe Odighizuwa returns from injury strong
- UCLA’s Owamagbe Odighizuwa spells trouble for opposing offenses
- Wang, Jack (January 15, 2015). "Life after Brett Hundley begins now for UCLA football". Los Angeles Daily News. Archived from the original on January 20, 2015.
- "Giants DE Owa Odighizuwa suspended for four games". NFL.com. August 28, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (August 29, 2017). "Giants release defensive end Owa Odighizuwa". Giants.com.
- Brown, Chris (March 8, 2018). "Bills sign free agent DE Owa Odighizuwa". BuffaloBills.com.
- "Bills add defensive end Ryan Russell". BuffaloBills.com. July 29, 2018.