Overlook, Portland, Oregon
Overlook is a neighborhood in the North section of Portland, Oregon on the east shore of the Willamette River. It borders University Park and Arbor Lodge on the north, Humboldt and Boise on the east, Eliot on the southeast, and Northwest Industrial and the Northwest District across the Willamette on the west.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: PDF map|
|• Association||Overlook Neighborhood Association|
|• Coalition||North Portland Neighborhood Services|
|• Total||3.31 sq mi (8.58 km2)|
|• Density||1,800/sq mi (710/km2)|
|• No. of households||2462|
|• Occupancy rate||95% occupied|
|• Owner-occupied||1646 households (67%)|
|• Renting||816 households (33%)|
|• Avg. household size||2.47 persons|
The neighborhood includes Swan Island, originally an island in the Willamette. In 1899, Richard McCrary, James Connor, and Hi Straight set up a moonshine still on Swan Island. The island was connected to the east bank by landfill in the 1920s. Swan Island was the site of Portland's first airport, Swan Island Municipal Airport, dedicated by Charles Lindbergh in 1927 and operating until the early 1940s when the island was converted to naval shipbuilding use for World War II as one of the Kaiser Shipyards. Swan Island is now an industrial area.
The Overlook Neighborhood Association is the official neighborhood association recognized by the city.
- E. Henry Wemme, a Portland businessman credited with contributing to the development of the neighborhood
- Demographics (2000)
- "Overlook House – Portland's Unique Wedding & Rental Venue". Friends of the Overlook House. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- Anderson, Heather (2015). Portland : a food biography. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 225. ISBN 1-4422-2738-9. OCLC 881824352.
- Bui, Hien; Kain, Michelle. "Little Swan Island Unable to Meet Big Changes". Center for Columbia River History. Archived from the original on 2007-05-07. Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- Freeman, Paul. "(Original) Portland Municipal Airport / Swan Island Airport, Portland, OR". Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "About OKNA – Overlook Neighborhood Association". Retrieved 2019-12-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Overlook, Portland, Oregon.|