Ordu Nefise Akçelik Tunnel (Turkish: Ordu Nefise Akçelik Tüneli), originally Hapan Tunnel, (Turkish: Hapan Tüneli) is a highway tunnel constructed in Ordu Province, northern Turkey. With its length of 3,825 m (12,549 ft), it was the country's longest tunnel at the time of its opening. The tunnel is named in honor of the Turkish female civil engineer and earth scientist Nefise Akçelik (1955-2003).
|Location||Perşembe, Ordu Province|
|Constructed||Nurol-Tekfen-Yüksel joint venture|
|Opened||April 7, 2007|
|Operator||General Directorate of Highways|
|Length||3,805 and 3,825 m (12,484 and 12,549 ft)|
|No. of lanes||2 x 2|
|Operating speed||80 km/h (50 mph)|
|Highest elevation||220 m (720 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||220 m (720 ft)|
Ordu Nefise Akçelik Tunnel is part of the Samsun-Ordu Highway D.010 E70 within the Black Sea Coastal Highway, the construction of which was carried out by the Turkish Nurol-Tekfen-Yüksel joint venture. The cost of the tunnel totalled to TL 361 million (approx. US$265 million as of 2007 exchange rate). The 3,805 and 3,825 m (12,484 and 12,549 ft)-long twin-tube tunnel carrying two lanes of traffic in each direction is flanked by 170–135 m (558–443 ft)-long Tekkebak Tunnel in the west and 310–314 m (1,017–1,030 ft)-long Asarkayası Tunnel in the east on the same highway. Traffic in the tunnel is controlled by 81 cameras at 16 different stations.
The tunnel crosses mountainous area between the settlements Yarlı and Kırlı in Perşembe district of Ordu Province at 220 m (720 ft) elevation. It allows a short cut of 15 km (9.3 mi) between the town Fatsa and the city of Ordu saving one and half hours driving time.
Naming and opening to trafficEdit
Originally, the tunnel was named Hapan Tunnel. Its name was changed to Nefise Akçelik (1955-2003) in honor of the female civil engineer and earth scientist, who, working at the General Directorate of Highways, contributed much to the construction of tunnels in Turkey. Finally, it was officially renamed Ordu Nefise Akçelik Tunnel in March 2007.
- "Ordu - Nefise Akçelik Tüneli'nde dünya standartlarında teknoloji ve güvenlik" (in Turkish). Siemens. Archived from the original on 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Küçükoğlu, Erol (2007-04-06). "Fındıkçı tepkisine karşı Erdoğan'a dev koruma". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Ordu - Nefise Akçelik Tüneli" (in Turkish). wowTurkey.com. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Mühendis Kadının Adı Var: Nefise Akçelik" (in Turkish). Birgün. Archived from the original on 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Türkiye'nin En Uzun Tünelinin İsmi "Ordu Nefise Akçelik Tüneli" Oldu". Son Dakika (in Turkish). 2007-04-03. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Tehlikeli Maddelerin Taşınmasına İzin Verilmeyen Otoyol Tünelleri" (PDF) (in Turkish). Karayolları Genel Müdürlüğü. Retrieved 2016-08-14.