Order of the Throne
The Order of the Throne (Arabic: Wissam al-Arch, French: Ordre du Trône) is a state decoration of the Kingdom of Morocco awarded for distinguished services of a civil or military nature. The Order was instituted on 16 May 1963 by King Hassan II of Morocco, who reigned between 1961 and 1999.
|Order of the Throne|
|Established||16 May 1963|
|Founder||Hassan II of Morocco|
The Order of the Throne is awarded in five classes, one exceptional and four ordinary classes :
- Exceptional Class or Grand Cordon, who wears the badge on a sash on the right shoulder, plus the star on the left side of the chest. This class is limited to twenty recipients at any one time.
The ordinary classes:
- First Class or Grand Officer, who wears a badge on a necklet, plus a star on the left side of the chest. This class is limited to sixty recipients;
- Second Class or Commander, who wears a badge on a necklet. Limited to three hundred and fifty recipients;
- Third Class or Officer, who wears the badge on a ribbon with rosette on the left side of the chest. Limited to one thousand recipients;
- Fourth Class or Knight, who wears the badge on a ribbon on the left side of the chest. Limited to ten thousand recipients.
The breast star is the five-pointed green star of the Alaouite. In the middle of the green star is depicted the Moroccan throne. The green star is placed on gold palm branches.
The badge is a smaller version of the breast star. The palm branches are made of gold for the 2nd and 3rd class or silver for the 4th class.
The ribbon of the Order is red with small green stripes near the border.
|Ribbon bars of the Order of the Throne|
- Serge Berdugo
- David Amar
- Omar Azziman
- Grand Cordons
- Aga Khan IV
- Princess Lalla Aicha of Morocco
- Andrew Bertie
- Princess Lalla Amina of Morocco
- Princess Lalla Asma of Morocco
- Princess Lalla Hasna of Morocco
- Princess Lalla Malika of Morocco
- Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco
- Princess Lalla Nuzha of Morocco
- Prince Moulay Abdallah of Morocco
- Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco
- Ahmed Osman (politician)
- Norodom Sihanouk
- Lalla Fatima Zohra
- Décret royal n° 199-66 du 1er ramadan 1386 (14 décembre 1966) portant création des ordres du Royaume - website of the government of Morocco (French)
- Morocco: Order of the Throne - website Medals of the World