Old Mother Riley Detective
Old Mother Riley Detective is a 1943 British comedy film directed by Lance Comfort and starring Arthur Lucan, Kitty McShane and Hal Gordon. It was part of the long running Old Mother Riley series. Old Mother Riley investigates the disappearance of food during the war, a serious crime because of rationing.
|Old Mother Riley Detective|
Original trade poster
|Directed by||Lance Comfort|
|Produced by||John Baxter|
|Written by||Barbara K. Emary|
|Music by||Kennedy Russell|
|Edited by||E.W. White|
|Distributed by||Anglo-American Film Corporation|
|31 May 1943 (UK)|
The film opens with a night watchman being bludgeoned, as a safe is cracked open in the offices of the District Food Controller. A list of wartime foods to be rationed is stolen, and the police fear gangsters are planning to sell the foods on the black market. As the office charwoman, Old Mother Riley's fingerprints are all over the safe, and she becomes the police's number one suspect. To prove her innocence, Mother Riley turns detective, adopting various methods and disguises to track down the villains.
- Arthur Lucan as Mrs. Riley
- Kitty McShane as Kitty Riley
- Ivan Brandt as Inspector Victor Cole
- Owen Reynolds as Kenworthy
- George Street as Inspector Moresby
- Johnnie Schofield as P.C. Jimmy Green
- Hal Gordon as Bill
- Valentine Dunn as Elsie
- H. F. Maltby as H. G. Popplethwaite
- Peggy Cummins as Lily
- Alfredo Campoli as Solo Violinist
TV Guide wrote of the film, "a lifeless effort...The gangster premise is merely an excuse for Lucan to try out some humorous bits (in drag, of course), but the picture is too padded to hold much interest." Kinematograph Weekly noted, "one of Arthur Lucan's and the series' best efforts."
- "Old Mother Riley, Detective". Archived from the original on 10 February 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "Old Mother Riley, Detective | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Old Mother Riley-Detective (1943) | Vintage45's Blog". Vintage45.wordpress.com. 13 October 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Old Mother Riley, Detective Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Lance Comfort - Brian McFarlane - Google Books". Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
|This article related to a British comedy film of the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|