Okoye is a fictional character, a member of the Dora Milaje in Marvel Comics. The character, created by Christopher Priest and Mark Texeira, first appeared in Black Panther #1 (November 1998) within the comics. She appears more prominently in the Marvel Cinematic Universe portrayed by Danai Gurira.
|First appearance||Black Panther #1 (November 1998)|
|Team affiliations||Dora Milaje|
Fictional character biographyEdit
She joined alongside her friend Nakia to be among T'Challa's wives-in-training. However, when Okoye discovered that T'Challa had no interest in marrying either of them, she immediately came to accept this. She has since stood at T'Challa's side preferring only to speak in Hausa. Okoye accompanied T'Challa when he recruited Queen Divine Justice. She was also with T'Challa when they tested Kasper Cole on whether he was worthy of the Black Panther garb. Okoye herself tested Kasper if he would stay with his pregnant girlfriend or leave her for Okoye.
In other mediaEdit
- Okoye has a non-voiced cameo in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She is a member of T'Challa's Dora Milaje.
- Okoye appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda, voiced by Yvette Nicole Brown.
- Danai Gurira portrays Okoye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Okoye appears in Black Panther where she is the head of the Dora Milaje. She has the utmost respect for T'Challa and the nation of Wakanda and is the lover of W'Kabi. She stands beside T'Challa for the majority of the film, but is forced to switch her allegiance to Erik Killmonger when he usurps the throne. After seeing that T'Challa is alive, and thus still legally King with the personal combat challenge incomplete, she leads the Dora to fight against Killmonger the moment he invalidates his own claim by refusing to continue the challenge. During W'Kabi's fight with M'Baku, Okoye eventually convinces W'Kabi to stand down causing those fighting alongside him to also stand down.
- Okoye returns in Avengers: Infinity War. At the climax of the film, she survives Thanos's elimination of half of all life in the universe, but T'Challa is erased himself.
- Erao, Matthew (March 28, 2018). "Black Panther's Okoye Jumps from Movie to Marvel Comics". ScreenRant. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #11. Marvel Comics.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #25. Marvel Comics.
- Black Panther (Vol. 3) #62. Marvel Comics.
- Strom, Marc (July 23, 2016). "SDCC 2016: Marvel's 'Black Panther' Confirms Additional Cast". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on July 24, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (14 June 2017). "'The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira Starring In 'Avengers: Infinity War'".
- Dornbush, Jonathon (13 February 2018). "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Black Panther DLC Revealed". IGN. Retrieved 21 April 2018.