Obsessed (Addison Rae song)
|Single by Addison Rae|
|Released||March 18, 2021|
Background and compositionEdit
"Obsessed" is a dance-pop song. The lyrics are about a relationship and self-love. At a young age, Rae was influenced by her mother's playlist which included music from the 1990s and 2000s. In an interview with Vogue, Rae identifies Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, and Katy Perry as musical influences. She cited Taylor Swift as an inspiration for the song.
Preceding the release, Rae worked with songwriter Jacob Kasher Hindlin (Jkash) to study songwriting. Rae released the song through Hindlin's independent label, Sandlot Records. They worked with manager Adam Mersel, and publicists Katie Greenthal and Courtni Asbury of The Lede Company. After four months in the Hindlin's studio, Rae and her team developed most of "Obsessed" in one session.
Zoe Haylock of Vulture negatively compared Rae's use of whispering to Selena Gomez. Writing for Entertainment Weekly, Nick Romano described the lyrics as "[reading] more like a text exchange", while assuming the message was "about how obsessed [Rae] is with herself", in contrast with what Rae intended, writing "the execution may have gotten lost in translation".
The music video, directed by Diane Martel, includes TikTok dances choreographed by Sara Biv and Calvit Hodge. On the day of its release, the single was the sixth video trending on YouTube. Kyle Luu was the stylist. In parts of the video, Rae wore catsuits by LaQuan Smith, clothing by Mugler and a fake fur Gucci bolero. Her white Dion Lee corset was inspired by the Britney Spears' music video for "Sometimes". The catsuit was influenced by the music video of "Say You'll Be There."
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||42|
|New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ)||4|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 (Billboard)||10|
|Various||March 19, 2021||Sandlot|||
|United States||March 30, 2021||Contemporary hit radio|||
- Mamo, Heran (March 19, 2021). "Addison Rae Gets Fans 'Obsessed' With Surprise Debut Single & Music Video". Billboard. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- Okwodu, Janelle (March 19, 2021). "Addison Rae on Her Pop Reinvention and Debut Single 'Obsessed'". Vogue. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- Hissong, Samantha (March 19, 2021). "Addison Rae's Next Act: Pop Star". Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- Haylock, Zoe (March 19, 2021). "Addison Rae Drops Debut Single All About Addison Rae". Vulture. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- Romano, Nick (March 19, 2021). "TikTok star Addison Rae is 'Obsessed' with herself in debut single". Retrieved August 2, 2021.
- "Billboard Canadian Hot 100 Chart: April 3, 2021". Billboard. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- "IRMA – Irish Charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved March 27, 2021.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. March 29, 2021. Retrieved March 27, 2021.
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Chart: April 3, 2021". Billboard. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- "Obsessed - Single by Addison Rae on Apple Music". Apple Music. US: Apple Inc. March 18, 2021.
- "Top 40/Mainstream: Future Releases". All Access. Archived from the original on March 29, 2021. Retrieved March 29, 2021.