The Oborishte locality (Bulgarian: Местността Оборище) is a historical place situated at 7 km to the north-west of the town of Panagyurishte, Bulgaria. It is located in the Sredna Gora mountains. In the spring of 1876 the First Great National Assembly took place there. A monument was erected on that place in 1923.
In the course of the preparation of the April Uprising against the Ottoman Empire the representatives of the Fourth Revolutionary District assembled in the forests around the district's headquarters Panagyurishte. The assembly was held between 14 and 16 April (O.S.) 1876. The number of the deputies is unknown, varying according to different sources and studies from 49 to more than 350, from around 50 towns and villages. Headed by Georgi Benkovski the deputies took decision for the Uprising.
Deputies according to different sources:
|Source||Number of deputies||Number of settlements|
|"Notes on the Bulgarian Uprisings" (1884)||56||50|
|"History of the April Uprising" (1907)||65||58|
|"Principality of Bulgaria"||55||49|
|"Short History of the Sredna Gora Uprising" (1901)||80|
|"The First Gun"||108|
- Stoyanoff, Zachary (1913), "The Oborishte Commission", Pages from the Autobiography of an Insurgent, London: Edward Arnold, pp. 116–144, retrieved 2013-03-05
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 04 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. pp. 779–784, see page 781.
The Revolt of 1876
- Oborishte Ridge SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 04 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. pp. 779–784.
- Harris, David (1939). Britain and the Bulgarian horrors of 1876. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp. 15–16. hdl:2027/uc1.b3945523.
- "Оборищенци" (Сборник от исторически очерци за народните представители на Оборище през 1876 година), редакция и съставителство Христо М. Йонков, ДВИ, С., 1972.
- Historical Site Oborishte – Town of Panagyurishte at Bulgariatravel.org - Official Tourism Portal of Bulgaria