O. Henry's Full House
|O. Henry's Full House|
Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Henry Koster|
|Produced by||André Hakim|
|Screenplay by||Richard L. Breen|
|Based on||Short stories|
by O. Henry
|Narrated by||John Steinbeck|
|Music by||Alfred Newman|
Milton R. Krasner
|Edited by||Nick DeMaggio|
William B. Murphy
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$1 million (US rentals)|
The film was produced by André Hakim and directed by five separate directors from five separate screenplays. The music score was composed by Alfred Newman. The film is narrated by author John Steinbeck, who made a rare on-camera appearance to introduce each story.
The five storiesEdit
"The Clarion Call"Edit
Directed by Henry Hathaway, from a screenplay by Richard L. Breen, it stars Dale Robertson and Richard Widmark. Plot: A detective cannot arrest a murderer he knows from his past due to his honor involving an outstanding financial debt to the criminal. Once a newspaper offers a reward, after being mocked by the criminal, the detective arrests the criminal and collects the reward to repay the debt.
Directed by Jean Negulesco, from a screenplay by Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts, it stars Anne Baxter, Jean Peters, and Gregory Ratoff. The story is set in Greenwich Village during a pneumonia epidemic. An old artist saves the life of a young artist, dying of pneumonia, by giving her the will to live. She can see an ivy plant through the window gradually losing its leaves, and has taken it into her head that she will die when the last leaf falls. Seemingly, it never does fall, and she survives. In reality the vine lost all its leaves. What she thought she saw was in actuality a leaf, painted on the wall with perfect realism, by the old artist. The old artist dies of a heart attack while being out in the wet and cold, painting the last leaf.
- 'Top Box-Office Hits of 1952', Variety, January 7, 1953.
- Crowther, Bosley, (October 17, 1952). "THE SCREEN IN REVIEW; Four O. Henry Short Stories Offered in Fox Movie at Trans-Lux 52d Street". The New York Times.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- O. Henry's Full House on IMDb
- O. Henry's Full House at AllMovie
- O. Henry's Full House at the TCM Movie Database
- O. Henry's Full House at Rotten Tomatoes
- Review at TimeOut Film
- Review at Channel 4 Film
- Review at Family Friendly Movies
- Newspaper article by Chris Hicks from Deseret Morning News (deseretnews.com)