Notre Dame is a census-designated place and unincorporated community north of the city of South Bend in St. Joseph County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It includes the campuses of three colleges: the University of Notre Dame, Saint Mary's College, and Holy Cross College. Notre Dame is split between Clay and Portage Townships. As of the 2020 census, its population was 7,234.
Notre Dame, Indiana
|• Total||1.25 sq mi (3.23 km2)|
|• Land||1.18 sq mi (3.06 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.17 km2)|
|Elevation||732 ft (223 m)|
|• Density||6,120.14/sq mi (2,363.75/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2583462|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Holy Cross religious communities edit
Holy Cross Village at Notre Dame is a retirement community offering continuing care. It is owned by the Brothers of Holy Cross and managed by the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago Service Corporation.
Notre Dame is the home of three major headquarters of Holy Cross religious communities. On the campus of Saint Mary's College the Sisters of the Holy Cross have their Congregational Administration. The Holy Cross College campus is the location of the Provincial Offices of two provinces of the Congregation of Holy Cross: the Midwest Province of Brothers and the Indiana Province of Priests and Brothers. In addition to these, Notre Dame also holds provinces of the Superior Faith, which are the Eastern Province of Sisters and the Notre Dame Province of Holy Cross.
Government and infrastructure edit
As unincorporated communities do not have a municipal government, Notre Dame's government entities are the United States post office and the colleges' police forces. All colleges and universities in Indiana are entitled to an independent police force by law. The University of Notre Dame also has its own fire department and supplies its own water and power utilities, except University Village and Cripe Street Apartments, Notre Dame's family and married housing get their electricity from American Electric Power.
A post office has been in operation in Notre Dame since 1851. The United States Postal Service Notre Dame Post Office is located in the northwest corner of Hammes Mowbray Hall, west of East Gate along Juniper Road on the University of Notre Dame campus.
Notre Dame is in the South Bend Community School Corporation (SBCSC). The school zonings are as follows: Darden Elementary School Edison Middle School and Clay High School (for Landings at Notre Dame). Previously Darden Primary, Tarkington Traditional Elementary, Clay Intermediate, and Clay High served as the local public schools for children of graduate students at University Village. At the end of the 2017-2018 school year Fischer Graduate Residence became the designated housing for students with dependent children, as University Village closed.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 16, 2022.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Notre Dame, Indiana
- Mack, Justin L. (April 15, 2019). "South Bend: What you need to know about Pete Buttigieg's hometown". The Indianapolis Star.
- "2020 Census Data". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 22, 2023.
- "Notre Dame CDP, Indiana". Census.gov. Retrieved March 22, 2022.
- "Indiana Code 21-17-5-2.1. State of Indiana. 2007. Retrieved on January 4, 2011.
- "Saint Joseph County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Post Office Location - NOTRE DAME." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "Campus Map." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.
- "Notre Dame Post Office Archived January 23, 2009, at the Wayback Machine." ''University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): St. Joseph County, IN." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Elementary school map 2021" (PDF). South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved February 25, 2022. - Generated from this school boundary locator.
- "Middle school map 2021" (PDF). South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved February 25, 2022. - Generated from this school boundary locator.
- "Clay High school map 2021" (PDF). South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved February 25, 2022. - Generated from this school boundary locator.
- "U Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved December 13, 2016. Match with the following address: "Village Apartments: 100 University Village Apt A01 (letter & number), Notre Dame, IN 46556"
- "University Village." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.