Clay High School (Indiana)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Clay High School|
19131 Darden Road
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||South Bend Community School Corporation|
|Athletics conference||Northern Indiana Athletic Conference|
|Rival||South Bend Washington|
|Website||ClayHS School website|
Clay High School is the Magnet High School for the Visual and Performing Fine Arts, and offers various fine arts classes such as dance, theatre tech, music theory, drawing, photography, ceramics, and piano/keyboarding. Clay also offers a Fine Arts Connection course which traces the relationships in the fine arts throughout history with hands-on activities. All magnet students are entitled to free private music lessons.
Advanced courses in Clay High School's music department require auditions. For those not interested in auditioning, basic classes are offered such as Mixed Choir, Orchestra, and Band. More advanced classes, such as Swing Choir, Advanced Choir, Women's Choir, Chamber Orchestra, and Jazz Band, require auditions (which usually occur at the beginning or end of the school year). The band, orchestra, and swing choir have all received Gold Division awards at ISSMA competitions.
Magnet grants also allow the school to perform four theatrical performances each school year: one play, two musicals, and a series of one-act plays. The school's thespian group performs shortened versions of these plays along with monologues and skits for competitions.
Visual Arts has also thrived. Since the beginning of the magnet program, many artists from Clay have attained varies from many contests such as the Scholastics Art and Writing. Visual Arts has established a strong base in the magnet program, create future artists respectively.
Clay High serves Village Apartments, the designated University of Notre Dame housing unit for students with dependent children and a part of the University Village complex. Village Apartments is assigned to schools based on its University Village Drive location. At the end of the 2017-2018 school year Fischer Graduate Residence will become the designated housing for students with dependent children, as University Village will close at the end of that school year.
- Jaraan Cornell – former International Basketball League player for Gary Steelheads (2000–2001), Purdue Boilermakers men's basketball player (1996–2000)
- Jon Gruden – ESPN football analyst, former NFL head coach of Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2008) and Oakland Raiders (1998–2001)
- Lee Nailon – professional basketball player for Panteras de Aguascalientes of Mexican Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional, NBA player for Philadelphia 76ers (2005–2006), New Orleans Hornets (2004–2005), Cleveland Cavaliers (2003–2004), Orlando Magic (2004), Atlanta Hawks (2003), New York Knicks (2002–2003), Charlotte Hornets (2000–2002)
- John Newcomer – game designer of coin-op titles such as Joust
- Dean Norris – actor, Breaking Bad
- Don Schlundt – Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball player (1951–1955) and member of 1953 National Championship team, inductee of Indiana University athletics Hall of Fame (1982) and Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame
- David Simkins – screenwriter and television producer
- "Clay High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Clay High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): St. Joseph County, IN." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 13, 2016. This map is used to show the boundaries of municipalities.
- "D Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "P Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "B Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved on January 12, 2017.
- "E Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved on January 12, 2017.
- "About University Village." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "U Streets." South Bend Community School Corporation. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "University Village Location." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 13, 2016. "Village Apartments: 100 University Village Apt A01 (letter & number), Notre Dame, IN 46556"
- "University Village." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "Purdue Basketball Bio – Jaraan Cornell". Purduesports.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Pro-Football-Reference Bio – Jon Gruden". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "ESPN Media Bio – Jon Gruden". ESPNmediazone.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "NBA Bio – Lee Nailon". NBA.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- Bevan, Mike. "The Making of Joust". Retro Gamer (63): 36–41.
- "IMDB Bio – Dean Norris". IMDB.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame – Don Schlundt". Hoopshall.com. Archived from the original on August 16, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "IU Athletics Hall of Fame – Don Schlundt". iuhoosiers.cstv.com. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- Bonfiglio, Jeremy D. (January 21, 2007). "The cat herder". South Bend Tribune. Retrieved June 19, 2013.