The Northern District (Hebrew: מחוז הצפון, Mekhoz HaTzafon; Arabic: منطقة الشمال, Minṭaqat ash-Shamāl) is one of Israel's six administrative districts. The Northern District has a land area of 4,478 km2, which increases to 4,638 km2 when both land and water are included. The district capital is Nof HaGalil and the largest city is Nazareth.
|• Arabic||منطقة الشمال|
|• Hebrew||מחוז הצפון|
|• District Commissioner||Uri Ilan (acting)|
|• Total||4,478 km2 (1,729 sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||IL-Z|
The Golan Heights has been run as a sub-district of the North District of Israel since the 1981 Golan Heights Law was passed, although the claim is only recognized by the United States while United Nations Security Council Resolution 497 condemns the annexation but does not enforce it. The Golan Heights covers a land area of 1,154 km2 and the remainder of the Northern District covers 3,324 km2 (3,484 km2 including water).
According to the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics data for 2021:
- Total population: 1,501,900 (2021)
In the Israeli census, no distinction is made between Arab citizens of Israel and Syrian inhabitants of the Golan Heights, many of whom are not citizens of Israel, but of Syria.
- Jews: 637,400 (42.4%)
- Muslims: 588,500 (39.2%)
- Druze: 119,000 (7.9%)
- Arab Christians: 97,200 (6.5%)
- Not classified: 51,000 (3.4%)
- Density: 335/km2
The Northern District is the only district of Israel where the majority of inhabitants are Arabs.
- ^ "בעלי תפקידים במשרד הפנים".
- ^ Transfer of Power (District Commissioners and District Officers) Law, 5724-1964, Laws of the State of Israel vol. 18 no 38. (pp. 70-71)
- ^ Romo, Vanessa (25 March 2019). "Trump Formally Recognizes Israeli Sovereignty Over Golan Heights". NPR.
- ^ "Population, by Population Group, Religion, Age and Sex, District and Sub-District" (PDF). Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. 2022. Archived (PDF) from the original on March 11, 2023. Retrieved March 11, 2023.
- ^ Population in localities and statistical areas, by religion, end of 2019
Coordinates: 32°50′N 35°20′E / 32.833°N 35.333°E