Newport Independents Party
The Newport Independents Party (Welsh: Plaid Annibynwyr Casnewydd) is a small political party formed in 2017 to campaign in the city of Newport, Wales. The party won four council seats on Newport City Council in May 2017.
|Nominating officer||Jason Alan Jordan|
|Treasurer||Diane Josephine Jordan|
|Campaigns officer||Kevin Whitehead|
|Additional officer||Andrew Collingbourne|
|Founded||16 March 2017|
|Headquarters||605 Monnow Way|
|Local government in Wales|
4 / 1,253
|Newport City Council|
5 / 50
The Newport Independents Party was registered with the Electoral Commission in March 2017 by its founder, Councillor Kevin Whitehead. It aimed to break the "stale national party politics" in the city. The party fielded fifteen candidates in the May 2017 elections to Newport City Council and one candidate for Rogerstone Community Council.
Four Newport Independents were elected to Newport City Council on 4 May 2017: Kevin Whitehead, Janet Cleverly and Jason Jordan won seats in the Bettws ward and one candidate - Chris Evans - was successful in Rogerstone.
- "Local Elections Archive Project - 2017 - Newport". www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Open Council Data UK - compositions councillors parties wards elections". opencouncildata.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- "Newport Independents Party". The Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Ian Craig (30 March 2017). "Fifteen candidates set to stand for Newport Independent Party". South Wales Argus. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- "Council Election 2017 - Newport community council nominees". South Wales Argus. 10 April 2017. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Gareth Willey (5 May 2017). "Newport Local Election Results (2017)". Newport City Radio. Retrieved 2018-09-23.