Newbridge railway station (Wales)
Newbridge railway station (Welsh: Trecelyn) is on the Ebbw Valley Railway and serves the towns of Newbridge and Blackwood in south east Wales. The current station is on the site of the former station and coal yard in the town centre opposite the Co-op food store and existing council car park. The single-platform station and car park is off a signalised junction on Bridge Street.
150213 and 150229 at Newbridge on the first weekend after reopening
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||1|
Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|23 December 1850||Opened|
|30 April 1962||Closed to passengers|
|7 April 1969||Closed to goods|
|6 February 2008||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Newbridge from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The original station was opened by the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company on 23 December 1850, and closed to passengers on 30 April 1962 and to goods on 7 April 1969. It had 2 platforms.
The station and line reopened on 6 February 2008 when services between Cardiff Central and Ebbw Vale Parkway railway station commenced. In February 2009 Caerphilly County Borough Council started construction on a footbridge to link the station with the Comprehensive School, Leisure Centre and the town centre.
An hourly service operates in both directions on weekdays and Saturdays with a two-hourly Sunday service.
This section possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur. Information must be verifiable and based on reliable published sources. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Doubling between Crosskeys and Aberbeeg Jct will require a second platform to be built at Newbridge and Llanhilleth
Following completion of the doubling and new platform (including Llanhilleth), an hourly train service between Ebbw Vale and Newport is planned.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newbridge (Caerphilly) railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Newbridge railway station (Wales) from National Rail
- Planning Approval Granted for New Railway Station
- Archive of Ebbw Valley Railway Scheme website (Blaenau Gwent council, 2008)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Llanhilleth||Transport for Wales
Cardiff Central - Ebbw Vale Town
|Crumlin Low Level
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company
|Celynen South Halt|
Line open, station closed