New York City Department of Records and Information Services
The New York City Department of Records and Information Services (DoRIS) is the department of the government of New York City that organizes and stores records and information from the City Hall Library and Municipal Archives. It is headquartered in the Surrogate's Courthouse in Civic Center, Manhattan. Its regulations are compiled in title 49 of the New York City Rules.
|Jurisdiction||New York City|
|Headquarters||31 Chambers Street,|
New York, NY 10007
DORIS has several divisions, such as the New York City Municipal Archives, which "preserves over 200,000 cubic feet of original documents, photographs, ledgers, maps, architectural renderings, manuscripts, and moving images." The Municipal Archives maintains an online gallery of over 1.6 million photographs and other materials. Notable among the Archives' collections are the 1940s Tax Department photographs, which were taken by the Works Progress Administration between 1939 and 1951. These photographs depict most real estate parcels in the five boroughs. Other divisions include the Municipal Library (not to be confused with the New York Public Library), which preserves New York City government publications and reports, and provides research space; and the Municipal Records Management Division, which "establishes and enforces the City’s record management policies and operates record storage facilities."
- New York City Charter § 3000; "There shall be a department of records and information services which shall include, but not be limited to, municipal archives, a municipal reference and research center and municipal records management division. The head of the department shall be the commissioner, who shall be appointed by the mayor."
- "New York City Department of Records and Information Services - About". New York City Department of Records and Information Services. Archived from the original on 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "WHO WE ARE". NYC Department of Records & Information Services. Retrieved 2020-08-28.
- "NYC Municipal Archives". nycma.lunaimaging.com. Retrieved 2020-08-28.
- "Guide to the 1940s Tax Department photographs,1939-1951" (PDF).