New York City Charter
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The New York City Charter is the municipal charter of New York City. As of January 2018, it includes a non-numbered introductory chapter, plus chapters identified by a number (1 through 75) or a number plus a letter suffix.
As part of the 1898 consolidation of New York City, the New York State Legislature enacted a charter for the consolidated city (Laws of 1897, chapter 378, effective January 1, 1898). The Charter was overhauled in 1989, after the New York City Board of Estimate had been declared unconstitutional, to redistribute power from the Board of Estimate to the Mayor and City Council.
The 1963 revision of the New York City Charter extended the Borough of Manhattan's "Community Planning Councils" (est. 1951) to the outer boroughs as "Community Planning Boards", which are now known as "Community Boards". This revision also increased the size of the New York City Council from 25 members to 35.
The 1975 revision of the New York City Charter set the number of Community Districts/Boards to 59, established the position of the district manager for the community districts, and created the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) which gave the community boards the authority to review land use proposals such as zoning actions, and special permits.
- New York City Charter, from American Legal Publishing Corporation
- The Greater New York Charter as Enacted in 1897
- THE 1989 ELECTIONS: CHARTER; Overhaul of New York City Charter Is Approved, Polls Show, The New York Times, November 8, 1989
- Muzzio, Douglas (March 8, 2010). "Bloomberg Moves to Change the City Charter, But How?". Gotham Gazette. Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- Stetson, Damon (6 August 1975). "Charter Change Would Be City's 5th". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- "About the Commission - New York City Charter Revision Commission". www1.nyc.gov. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- Forman, Seth. "Gotham Gazette -- Community Boards". www.gothamgazette.com. Gotham Gazette. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "Court on Votes". The New York Times. 25 August 1963. Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- The current 2006 revised New York City Charter
- 1963 revised New York City Charter
- Full text of the 1963 revised New York City Charter
|This article relating to law in the United States or its constituent jurisdictions is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New York City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|