Netcraft is an Internet services company based in Bath, Somerset, England.
|Type of business||Private|
|Founded||4 September 1987|
|Key people||Mike Prettejohn, Director|
Internet Data Mining
PCI Security Scanning & Web Application Security Testing
Netcraft is a provider of cybercrime disruption services across a range of industries. In November 2016, Philip Hammond, Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced plans for the UK government to work with Netcraft to develop better automatic defences to reduce the impact of cyber-attacks affecting the UK.
Netcraft was founded by Mike Prettejohn. The company provides web server and web hosting market-share analysis, including web server and operating system detection. In some cases, depending on the queried server's operating system, their service is able to monitor uptimes; uptime performance monitoring is a commonly used factor in determining the reliability of a web hosting provider. Netcraft has explored the internet since 1995 and is a respected authority on the market share of web servers, operating systems, hosting providers, ISPs, encrypted transactions, electronic commerce, scripting languages and content technologies on the internet.
The company is also known for its free anti-phishing toolbar for the Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome browsers. Starting with version 9.5, the built-in anti-phishing filter in the Opera browser uses the same data as Netcraft's toolbar, eliminating the need for a separately installed toolbar. A study commissioned by Microsoft concluded that Netcraft's toolbar was among the most effective tools to combat phishing on the Internet, although this has since been superseded by Microsoft's own Internet Explorer 7 with Microsoft Phishing Filter, possibly as a result of licensing Netcraft's data. The service can only process public IPv4 servers at the exclusion of IPv6. The browser extensions will display security information for a domain's IPv4 servers even when the user is connected to a different server over IPv6.
- "NETCRAFT LTD | Company number 02161164". companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Britain's cyber security bolstered by world-class strategy". gov.uk (Press release). 1 November 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
We will do this through working in partnership with industry - including companies such as the innovative SME Netcraft...
- "Hosting Providers Network Performance". Retrieved 18 February 2007.
- "The Best Web Hosting Companies". Archived from the original on 9 March 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- "3Sharp Study finds Internet Explorer 7 Edges Out Netcraft As Most Accurate for Anti-Phishing Protection". Archived from the original on 30 November 2007. Retrieved 25 May 2008.
- "Netcraft Phishing Feed To Protect Microsoft Customers". Retrieved 25 May 2008.
- Aleksandersen, Daniel (19 July 2016). "Netcraft anti-phishing toolbar information misleading in IPv6 enabled networks". Slight Future. Retrieved 23 July 2016.