National Super Alliance
The National Super Alliance, known by the abbreviation NASA, is a Kenyan political coalition of opposition center-left parties that was formed in January 2017. These parties include the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM), Wiper Democratic Movement (Wiper), Forum for the Restoration of Democracy - Kenya (FORD-Kenya), Amani National Congress (ANC), National Rainbow Coalition, Progressive Party of Kenya, Chama Cha Uzalendo (CCU), and the Muungano Party (MP).
|Leader||Raila Amolo Odinga|
|General Secretary||Norman Magaya|
|Deputy Leader||Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka|
|Principal||Wycliffe Musalia Mudavadi|
|Founded||11 January 2017|
|Political position||Centre to centre-left|
|Coalition Partners||ODM |
Amani National Congress
Chama Cha Uzalendo
126 / 349
28 / 67
18 / 47
Odinga and Musyoka ran under the NASA Coalition. Thus, their political parties (the Orange Democratic Movement and the Wiper Democratic Movement) opted to field their own candidates for other political positions. The other political parties in the coalition also fielded candidates for various electoral positions. Thus, "NASA candidates" did not technically exist.[clarification needed]
Of all the principals, only '''Wycliffe Musalia Mudavadi''' did not run for electoral office. He instead ran the NASA National Campaign Committee. Raila Amolo Odinga and Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka ran for president and deputy president, Moses Wetangula for Bungoma County senator, and Isaac Ruto for Bomet County for governor.
The NASA Coalition launched a six-point manifesto prior to the 2017 elections that focuses on
- Food security
- 'Progressive values' (democracy, affirmative action, freedom of the media, transparency, rule of law, and public participation)
- Dealing with cartels
- Kenya's debt burden
- Job creation
- Affordable education
The manifesto borrowed heavily from that by the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy, for which Odinga and Musyoka were also the candidates for president and deputy president for the 2013 general election.
- Ngetich, Jacob. "Amani National Congress meets to map coalition". The Standard. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "Jubilee fears NVP, Kanu, Mashinani party could deny DP Ruto control of Rift Valley ahead of 2017 polls". The Star, Kenya. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- Ngetich, Jacob. "Super alliance will be ready by December to send Uhuru home, Opposition leaders vow". The Standard. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- Ndungu, Tonny. "Raila goes for Uhuru's jugular by forming a super alliance of six parties- details". Tuko.co.ke — Kenya news. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- KTN News Kenya (2017-02-22), National Super Alliance NASA Flagbearer found, retrieved 2017-04-27
- "[VIDEO] Raila named NASA flag bearer, Kalonzo deputy in August poll line up". The Star, Kenya. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Sanga, Benard. "Wiper to field candidates against ODM for all Coast seats, says Senator Omar". The Standard. Retrieved 2017-07-05.
- Onyango, Protus. "Musalia Mudavadi confirmed as NASA campaign supremo". The Standard. Retrieved 2017-07-05.
- "Nasa launches six-point manifesto". Daily Nation. Retrieved 2017-07-05.