National Security Adviser (Nigeria)
The National Security Adviser is a senior official in the cabinet of the President of Nigeria who manages national security on behalf of the President and serves as his chief advisor on all matters that are vital to the very survival of the state. The position is a statutory member of the Presidency, National Security Council and Federal Executive Council.
|National Security Adviser|
|Member of||National Security Council|
Federal Executive Council
|Reports to||President of Nigeria|
|Appointer||President of Nigeria|
|First holder||Aliyu Gusau|
The National Security Adviser is appointed by the President and does not require confirmation from the Nigerian Senate. The duties varies from administration to administration; and depends, not only on the qualities of the person appointed to the position, but also on the style and management philosophy of the incumbent President.
|No.||Name||Term of office||President(s) served under|
|1||Aliyu Gusau||29 May 1999||1 June 2006||Olusegun Obasanjo
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua (from 2007)
|2||Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar||1 June 2006||8 March 2010|
|3||Aliyu Gusau||8 March 2010||18 September 2010||Goodluck Jonathan|
|4||Kayode Are||18 September 2010||4 October 2010|
|5||Owoye Andrew Azazi||4 October 2010||22 June 2012|
|6||Sambo Dasuki||22 June 2012||13 July 2015|
|7||Babagana Monguno||13 July 2015||present||Muhammadu Buhari|
Aliyu Gusau was appointed Coordinator of National Security by military president Ibrahim Babangida from 1986 to 1989. In this role, he led the dismantling of the National Security Organisation into the: State Security Service, National Intelligence Agency and the Defence Intelligence Agency. The politico-military situation of the early 1990s required the need for a central body for coordination, control and supervision of national security in Nigeria. In January 1993, Aliyu Gusau was appointed National Security Adviser. In August 1993, Ismaila Gwarzo replaced him and continued following the seizure of power by Sani Abacha. In June 1998, Abdullahi Mohammed, the former director of the National Security Organization was appointed to the position.
- "National Security and The Appointment National Security Adviser, By Oma Djebah". Sahara Reporters. 2017-04-22. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Senate inaugurates committee on national security". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Nigeria ex-security adviser charged". BBC News. 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "List of National Security Advisers Since 1999". Nigerian Bulletin - Naija Trending News. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Protector of the State: The role of Aliyu Mohammed Gusau as NSA". Vanguard News. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Guest Post: Nigeria's New Security: Dasuki in, Azazi out". Council on Foreign Relations. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "About Us - Gusau Institute". gusauinstitute.com. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "Nigerian Security Organisation (NSO) - Nigeria Intelligence Agencies". fas.org. Retrieved 2020-02-18.
- "NATIONAL SECURITY STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT" (PDF).