Nat Geo Wild
National Geographic Wild (shortened as Nat Geo Wild and abbreviated NGW) is a global pay television network owned by National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (73%) and the National Geographic Society (27%). The channel primarily focuses on wildlife and natural history non-fiction programming. It is a sister network to National Geographic TV.
|National Geographic Wild|
|Launched||21 August 2006 (Asia)|
1 March 2007 (Europe, Middle East & Africa)
9 September 2008 (France)
14 October 2007 (Italy)
31 July 2009 (India)
July 2009 (Romania)
1 November 2009 (Latin America)
15 November 2009 (Australia)
29 March 2010 (United States)
30 August 2010 (Malaysia)
4 October 2011 (Spain)
7 May 2012 (Canada)
|Owned by||National Geographic Partners|
(downscaled to 16:9 480i/576i for SDTVs)
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
United Arab Emirates and Egypt
Middle East & Africa
|Headquarters||Washington, District of Columbia|
|Replaced||Adventure One (UK)|
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Nexmedia (Indonesia)||Channel 202|
|Channel 84 (SD)|
& North Africa)
|Channel 515 (HD)|
|Dish TV |
|Channel 471 (SD)|
Channel 52 (HD)
|Channel 616 (HD)|
Channel 1616 (SD)
|Tata Sky |
|Channel 712 (SD)|
Channel 711 (HD)
|Dish Network |
|Channel 190 (HD)|
Channel 570 (HD)
Channel 570 (HD)
|Channel 84 (HD)|
|Cignal Digital TV |
|Channel 126 (HD)|
|Channel 461 (SD) |
|Sky Net |
|Channel 63 (SD) |
Channel 103 (HD)
|Channel 58 (SD)|
|Channel 305 (HD)|
|Good TV |
|Channel 54 (HD)|
|Channel 414 (SD)|
|Canal Digital |
|Channel 22 (HD)|
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 283 (HD)|
|Channel 413 (HD)|
|First Media |
|Channel 111 (SD)|
Channel 361 (HD)
|Channel 45 (SD)|
Channel 545 (HD)
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 751 (SD)|
Channel 702 (HD)
|TOP UP TV |
|Parasat Cable TV |
|Channel 402 (SD)|
Channel 805 (HD)
|Sky Cable |
|Channel 66 (SD) |
Channel 193 (HD)
|Macau Cable TV |
|Channel 420 (HD)|
|Destiny Cable |
|Channel 66 (Digital) |
Channel 102 (Analog)
|Surigao Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 42|
|InDigital (India)||Channel 291 (SD) |
Channel 889 (HD, Hindi audio only)
|Asianet Digital TV |
|Channel 408 (SD)|
|Available on most US operators||Channel slots vary on each provider|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 132 (SD) |
Channel 632 (HD)
|PEO TV |
|Channel 216 (HD)|
|AT&T U-verse||Channel 1266 (HD)|
Channel 266 (SD)
|Channel 509 (HD)|
|PlayStation Vue||Internet Protocol television|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
|Foxtel Go||Channel 616|
|YouTube TV||Internet Protocol television|
The channel first launched in Hong Kong on 1 January 2006. It later launched in the United Kingdom, Turkey, Ireland, Romania, India, Vietnam, and Poland replacing the now defunct Adventure One. The channel remains the world's first bilingual wildlife service, available in English and Cantonese in the Hong Kong market as well as Tagalog in The Philippines. It launched in Latin America on 1 November 2009 as a high definition channel. In 2010, it launched in the United States.
As of February 2015, approximately 57,891,000 American households (49.7% of households with television) receive Nat Geo Wild.
In Singapore, the channel is carried on the StarHub TV subscription services. Astro carried the channel in Malaysia with four language audio tracks included. Some shows on Nat Geo Wild are aired in Filipino (Tagalog) in the Philippines, which also have multiple languages available. Selected shows also aired on Fox Filipino.
Middle East and North AfricaEdit
A high definition feed launched on Foxtel on 1 November 2010. Although the HD feed was expected to launch on Austar in late 2010/early 2011, the channel did not launch until 1 July 2012, after Foxtel acquired Austar.
The channel launched on 1 March 2007 in Europe, and now reaches up to 10.5 million homes in the UK.
The channel was launched in the United States on 29 March 2010, replacing Fox Reality Channel. Providers which carried the channel at the time of its launch included Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cox Communications, Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse. Dish Network did not reach a carriage agreement at launch, but began to broadcast the channel on 19 April 2010. DirecTV didn't carry the channel at the time of its launch either, but it added the channel to its lineup on 30 June. DirecTV added the HD feed on 15 August 2012. The Latin American version of the channel was launched on 01 November 2009 and it is broadcast in 1080i. Its SD feed was launched years later.
- "Dstv.Com". Dstv.Com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Littleton, Cynthia (March 19, 2019). "Disney Closes $71 Billion 21st Century Fox Deal". Variety. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "National Geographic Channels International launches new channel - Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). August 10, 2006. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "HOW TO GET THE CHANNEL - National Geographic Channel - Sub-Saharan Africa". Natgeotv.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Knox, David (October 14, 2009). "Nat Geo gets Wild in November". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (November 1, 2010). "SPEED is on the air". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (May 24, 2012). "Foxtel completes Austar merger". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (December 9, 2014). "Fetch TV adds BBC First". TV Tonight. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Perry, Kevin (December 9, 2014). "Big Blow for Foxtel as they Lose Exclusive Rights for Premium Drama Channel BBC First". Nelbie. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - NatGeo Wild – Specialty Category B service". www.crtc.gc.ca.
- "National Geographic Channel set to go wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). December 7, 2006. Archived from the original on May 23, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Fox Reality Goes Wild as Nat Geo Spinoff". Reuters. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "National Geographic Channel". www.natgeowild.com.
- On August 15 four exciting channels will be available in eye-popping HD! DirecTV press release, August 15, 2012