|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Nakawa Market is located along the Kampala–Jinja Highway, in the neighborhood of Nakawa, in Kampala's Nakawa Division, approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi), by road, east of the central business district of the city. The geographical coordinates of Nakawa Market are: 0°19'48.0"N, 32°36'42.0"E (Latitude:0.3300; Longitude:32.6117).
The Nakawa Market is one of the largest fresh produce markets in the city. As of June 2010, the market supported in excess of 7,000 produce vendors. It is a popular shopping venue for expatriates on assignments in the country and for locals who usually come on Fridays and Saturdays.
Ownership and managementEdit
The land on which the market is built belongs to Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA). Prior to the Authority's creation in 2011, the Nakawa Vendors Association, managed the market. However, revenue collection was sub-optimal and garbage collection was abysmal. When KCCA tried to take over management, the Association, at first resisted, then went to court and sued the Authority. The lawsuit as dismissed with costs in 2015. As of August 2018, Nakawa Market is managed by KCCA.
Produce sold in Nakawa MarketEdit
The items on sale in the market include, but are not limited to the following. (a) fruits (b) vegetables (c) meat (d) poultry (e) textile (f) electronics (g) spices (h) matooke (i) pumpkin (j) eggs (k) coffee (l) Irish potatoes (m) raw sugarcane.
- Jaramogi, Patrick (10 January 2010). "Nakawa Market Vendors Unite". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Ngwomoya, Amos (22 June 2018). "KCCA Drafts Law To Regulate Markets". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Globefeed.com (10 August 2018). "Distance between Uganda Post Office, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Nakawa Market Vendors Association, Nakawa Flyover, Kampala, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Google (10 August 2018). "Location of Nakawa Fresh Produce Market, Kampala, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Fortune of Africa (10 August 2018). "About Nakawa Market". Fortuneofafrica.com. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Matovu, George (4 January 2013). "Nakawa Vendors, KCCA In Row Over Market Revenue". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Uganda Legal Information Institute (6 May 2015). "Nakawa Market Vendors Association Limited Vs Kampala Capital City Authority" (Ruling By Justice Henry Peter Adonyo, High Court of Uganda). Kampala: Uganda Legal Information Institute (ULII).
- Hygiene Alert: No More Fresh Vegetables In Nakawa Market As of 27 March 2014.