NXT TakeOver: New York
NXT TakeOver: New York was a professional wrestling show and WWE Network event produced by WWE for their NXT brand. The event took place on April 5, 2019, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
|NXT TakeOver: New York|
Promotional poster featuring various WWE wrestlers
|Date||April 5, 2019|
|City||Brooklyn, New York|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|NXT TakeOver chronology|
Five matches were contested at the event. In the main event, Johnny Gargano defeated Adam Cole in a Two-out-of-three falls match to win the vacant NXT Championship. Other matches on the undercard saw Walter defeat Pete Dunne to win the WWE United Kingdom Championship (also ending Dunne's historic reign at 685 days), Shayna Baszler retaining the NXT Women's Championship in a Fatal 4-Way match, Velveteen Dream ending Matt Riddle's undefeated streak and retaining the NXT North American Championship, and the War Raiders retaining the NXT Tag Team Championship against Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic winners Aleister Black and Ricochet.
|English commentators||Mauro Ranallo|
|Vic Joseph (UK Championship match)|
|Spanish commentators||Carlos Cabrera|
|Ring announcer||Kayla Braxton|
|Pre-show panel||Charly Caruso|
NXT TakeOver is a series of professional wrestling shows that began on May 29, 2014, when WWE's developmental league NXT held their second live broadcast on the WWE Network. In subsequent months, the "TakeOver" moniker became the name used by WWE for all of their NXT live specials. In March 2018, it was announced that WrestleMania 35 would be held at the MetLife Stadium, with the event's associated NXT TakeOver being held in Brooklyn's Barclays Center.
The card will include matches that arise from scripted storylines, where wrestlers will portray villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters to build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches, with results predetermined by WWE's writers. Storylines will be produced on the NXT and NXT UK television programs.
In the fourth annual Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, Aleister Black and Ricochet advanced to the finals and defeated the Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler and Wesley Blake) to win the tournament. This also earned them an NXT Tag Team Championship match against the War Raiders at TakeOver.
In the Classic, Johnny Gargano decided to team up once again with former friend and bitter rival, NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa, reforming #DIY. After losing to Black and Ricochet in the semifinals, Ciampa was about to turn on Gargano again, but Gargano was prepared and turned the attack around. On the March 20 episode of NXT, Triple H revealed that Gargano was supposed to face Ciampa at TakeOver for the NXT title, but those plans halted due to the real life situation of Ciampa needing neck surgery, thus forcing him to vacate the title. Triple H then stated Gargano would still be in the match, and The Undisputed Era's Adam Cole won a fatal five-way against Velveteen Dream, Matt Riddle, Aleister Black, and Ricochet to fight for the vacant title. Triple H also announced that, in order to get a definitive winner, the match would be a two-out-of-three falls match.
After winning the Worlds Collide tournament during Royal Rumble Axxess for a championship match of his choosing, Velveteen Dream defeated Johnny Gargano for the NXT North American Championship. Over the next few weeks, Dream had runs ins with Matt Riddle, who fantasized about what the championship would look like around his waist. After weeks of head games, it was eventually announced that Dream would defend the title against Riddle at TakeOver.
At NXT TakeOver: Phoenix, Shayna Baszler retained the NXT Women's Championship against Bianca Belair by technical submission. During the match, Belair also had to deal with outside interference from Baszler's friends, former UFC Horsewomen Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir. This led to a match with Belair teaming with Io Shirai and Kairi Sane against the three women, and resulted in Shirai pinning Baszler. Belair, however, was not pleased as she wanted the pin and another shot at Baszler's title. During a match for a title shot at TakeOver, both Shirai and Belair were attacked by Baszler, who also choked out an assisting Sane. As she was leaving the building, Baszler was informed that, due to her actions, she would be defending her title against Belair, Shirai, and Sane in a fatal four-way.
The event received widespread acclaim. Jake St-Pierre of 411Mania rated the event a perfect 10/10 rating. He described it by saying, "It's getting to the point where I don't know which TakeOver event stands out the most, but I'll be damned if New York didn't throw its hat in the ring with authority."
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter awarded, out of five stars, 4.5 stars for both the NXT Tag Team Championship and the North American Championship matches, 4.75 stars to the Walter-Dunne match, 3.75 stars to the Women's Championship match (the only match of the event below four stars), and 5.5 stars to the Gargano-Cole match, which is the first time a WWE match broke the five-star rating system.
|1N||The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford) defeated Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel||Tag team match||N/A|
|2N||Jaxson Ryker defeated Danny Burch||Singles match||N/A|
|3N||Candice LeRae defeated Aliyah (with Vanessa Borne)||Singles match||N/A|
|4||War Raiders (Hanson and Rowe) (c) defeated Aleister Black and Ricochet||Tag team match for the NXT Tag Team Championship||21:10|
|5||Velveteen Dream (c) defeated Matt Riddle||Singles match for the NXT North American Championship||17:35|
|6||Walter defeated Pete Dunne (c)||Singles match for the WWE United Kingdom Championship||25:40|
|7||Shayna Baszler (c) defeated Io Shirai, Bianca Belair and Kairi Sane by submission||Fatal 4-Way match for the NXT Women's Championship||15:45|
|8||Johnny Gargano defeated Adam Cole 2–1||Two-out-of-three falls match for the vacant NXT Championship||38:25|
Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic bracket
(Taped February 20, aired March 6)
(Taped February 20, aired March 13)
(Taped March 13, aired March 27)
(Trent Seven and Tyler Bate)
|The Street Profits|
(Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford)
|The Forgotten Sons||Pin|
|Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch|
|The Forgotten Sons|
(Steve Cutler and Wesley Blake)
|The Forgotten Sons|
|Aleister Black and Ricochet||Pin|
(Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano)
|The Undisputed Era |
(Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish)
|Aleister Black and Ricochet||Pin|
|Aleister Black and Ricochet||Pin|
|Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel|
- Felstead, Scott (6 April 2019). "Triple H comments on Pete Dunne's future and plans for NXT UK". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "WWE NXT TAKEOVER: NEW YORK PRE-SALE CODE | PWInsider.com". www.pwinsider.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Howell, Nolan (May 29, 2014). "Neville tops Kidd at NXT Takeover". canoe.ca. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- "WrestleMania is coming back to MetLife Stadium". New York Post. March 16, 2018. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- St-Pierre, Jake. "St-Pierre's NXT TakeOver: New York Review". 411Mania. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Dangoor, Louis (12 April 2019). "NXT Title Match Given Highest Ever WWE Star Rating". WrestleTalk. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "4/5 Powell's NXT Takeover: New York live review – Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole in a best of three falls match for the vacant NXT Championship, Pete Dunne vs. Walter for the WWE UK Championship, Velveteen Dream vs. Matt Riddle for the NXT North American Title, NXT Women's Title four-way, NXT Tag Title match". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Bristout, Ralph (April 5, 2019). "NXT Tag Team Champions The War Raiders def. Aleister Black & Ricochet". WWE. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Bristout, Ralph (April 5, 2019). "NXT North American Champion Velveteen Dream def. Matt Riddle". WWE. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Bristout, Ralph (April 5, 2019). "WALTER def. Pete Dunne to become WWE United Kingdom Champion". WWE. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Bristout, Ralph (April 5, 2019). "NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler def. Bianca Belair, Io Shirai and Kairi Sane (Fatal 4-Way Match)". WWE. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Bristout, Ralph (April 5, 2019). "Johnny Gargano def. Adam Cole in 2-out-of-3 Falls Match to win the NXT Championship". WWE. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Killam, Mike (February 20, 2019). "SPOILERS: Live Updates From Tonight's WWE NXT TV Tapings". ProWrestling.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Lambert, Jeremy (March 13, 2019). "Ongoing Spoilers: NXT Television Tapings From Full Sail For 3/13". Fightful. Retrieved March 13, 2019.