The NXT Championship is a professional wrestling world championship created and promoted by the American professional wrestling promotion WWE for their developmental brand NXT. Introduced on July 1, 2012, it is the top championship of NXT. Seth Rollins was the inaugural champion. The title is currently held by Aleister Black, who is in his first reign.
The NXT Championship belt with default side plates
|Date established||July 1, 2012|
|Current champion(s)||Aleister Black|
|Date won||April 7, 2018|
The championship was first introduced on the July 1, 2012, edition of NXT when NXT Commissioner Dusty Rhodes announced a "Gold Rush" tournament, featuring four developmental roster NXT Superstars and four main roster WWE Superstars competing to be crowned as the inaugural NXT Champion in a knockout system format, replacing the FCW Florida Heavyweight Championship that was retired in the same month after merger of FCW. The first NXT Champion was crowned on the July 26, 2012, taping of NXT (aired August 29), with Seth Rollins defeating Jinder Mahal in the tournament final. On November 19, 2016, at NXT TakeOver: Toronto, Samoa Joe became the first performer to hold the championship on more than one occasion.
On April 1, 2017, at WrestleMania Axxess, NXT General Manager William Regal announced that all of the NXT title belts would be redesigned. The new title belts were unveiled at NXT TakeOver: Orlando that same night and given to the winners of their respective matches. Coming in line with the top championships of the main roster, the new design features removable side plates with the WWE logo as default plates, which are customized with the current champion's logos as a similarity of the name plate feature.
As of April 18, 2018, there have been 15 championship reigns with 13 different champions. The inaugural champion was Seth Rollins. Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura have the most reigns with two. Finn Bálor's reign as champion is the longest at 292 days (WWE recognizes it at 293), while Samoa Joe's second reign is the shortest at 14 days. Bo Dallas holds the record as the youngest champion, winning the title two days before his 23rd birthday, while Bobby Roode is the oldest champion, winning the title at 39.
- "NXT Championship". WWE. Archived from the original on October 31, 2017. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
[...] Drew McIntyre captured a world championship in a WWE ring
- Parry, Josh (July 26, 2012). "NXT spoiler - first champion crowned". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 8/29 - Week 11: First NXT champion crowned in big-match setting". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES' NXT TAKEOVER: TORONTO REVIEW 11/19: Nakamura vs. Joe, Asuka vs. James, #DIY vs. The Revival, and more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- WWE (April 1, 2017). "EXCLUSIVE: WWE NXT General William Regal arrives at WrestleMania Axxess with a HUGE announcement regarding NXT TakeOver: Orlando!". Facebook. Retrieved April 1, 2017.