Lavochkin(Redirected from NPO Lavochkin)
NPO Lavochkin (Russian: НПО Лавочкина, OKB-301, also called Lavochkin Research and Production Association or shortly Lavochkin Association, LA) is a Russian aerospace company. It is a major player in the Russian space program, being the developer and manufacturer of the Fregat upper stage, as well as interplanetary probes such as Fobos-Grunt. As of 2015, it is headed by Sergei Lemeshevskii.
|Industry||Aerospace and defense|
|Headquarters||Khimki, Moscow region, Russia|
|Revenue||$250 million (2014)|
Number of employees
The company develops and manufactures spacecraft such as the Fregat rocket upper stages, satellites and interplanetary probes. It is a contractor for a number of military programs, such as the Oko early warning satellite, Prognoz and Araks programmes as well as the civilian program Kupon. One of the company's most notable projects was the participation in the failed Fobos-Grunt sample return mission. NPO Lavochkin has also developed the Elektro–L series of new-generation weather satellites, as well as the Navigator standardised satellite platform, which will serve as the basis for several future Russian satellites.
The company was founded in 1937 as OKB-301, a Soviet aircraft design bureau (OKB). The head designer was Vladimir P. Gorbunov. On October, 1945 Semyon Lavochkin was promoted for the head designer of the design bureau. It gained distinction for its family of piston-engined fighter aircraft during World War II, and later shifted to missile and jet fighter designs. Following the death of the head designer, the OKB-301 succumbed to the growing power of Vladimir Chelomey and became OKB-52 Branch No. 3 on 18 December 1962.:300 Later, it turned to work on interplanetary probe designs for Luna sample return program, the Lunokhod program, Vega program, Phobos program, etc. The former OKB-301 became named NPO Lavochkin.
Rockets and missilesEdit
- S-25 Berkut (SA-1 "Guild") - surface-to-air missile
- S-75 Dvina (SA-2 "Guideline") - surface-to-air missile
- La-205 is V-300, a SAM for S-25 air defense system
- La-350 Burya - intercontinental cruise missile
- Fregat - upper stage
- Elektro-L - satellite
- Fobos-Grunt - space probe
- Granat - satellite
- Living Interplanetary Flight Experiment - space probe
- Luna programme
- Lunokhod programme
- Mars program
- Oko - missile early warning satellite.
- Spektr-R - space radio telescope satellite, dedicated to very Long Baseline Interferometry
- US-K - satellite
- US-KMO - satellite
- US-KS - satellite
- Venera program
- Vega program
Designers and engineersEdit
- "О мерах по созданию Государственной корпорации по космической деятельности "Роскосмос"". Официальный интернет-портал правовой информации. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Acting Director General of NPO Lavochkin appointed Sergei Lemeshev". News in Russian. 2015-08-07. Retrieved 2016-01-12.
- Harvey, Brian (2007). "The design bureaus". The Rebirth of the Russian Space Program (1st ed.). Germany: Springer. ISBN 978-0-387-71354-0.
- "Russia meteo satellite Electro-L successfully orbited". ITAR-TASS. 2011-01-21. Archived from the original on 2011-01-22.
- Siddiqi, Asif A. Challenge To Apollo: The Soviet Union and the Space Race, 1945–1974, part I. NASA.
- "Phobos-Grunt chips supposedly were counterfeit". ITAR-TASS. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- William H Mott, Robert B Sheldon, L Philip Sheldon (2000). Laser Satellite Communication: The Third Generation. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 132. ISBN 1-56720-329-9
- GlobalSecurity.org - http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/world/russia/npolav.htm