Astron was a Soviet space telescope launched on 23 March 1983 at 12:45:06 UTC, using the Proton launcher. Based on the 4MV spacecraft design and operational for six years, Astron was the largest ultraviolet space telescope of its time.
|Mission type||Astrophysical research|
|COSPAR ID||1983-020A |
|Mission duration||6 years|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||23 March 1983 12:45UTC|
|Launch site||TYURATAM MISSILE AND SPACE COMPLEX|
|Semi-major axis||108,531 km (67,438 mi)|
|Perigee altitude||30,791.0 km (19,132.6 mi)|
|Apogee altitude||173,530.2 km (107,826.7 mi)|
|Mean motion||0.24281115 rev/day|
|Epoch||19 July 2017 07:25:15 UTC|
The project was headed by Alexandr Boyarchuk. The spacecraft was designed and constructed by the Crimean Astrophysical Observatory and NPO Lavochkin. A group of scientists from these institutions was awarded the USSR State Prize for their work.
Among the most important observations made by Astron were those of SN 1987A supernova from March 4 to March 12, 1987, and of Halley's Comet in December 1985, the latter of which enabled a group of Soviet scientists to develop a model of the comet's coma.
- Granat - A later space observatory based on the Venera spacecraft bus
- J. McDowell. "Jonathan McDowell's launchlog". Jonathan's Space Home Page. Retrieved 23 August 2009.
- "Spectr-UF Project History" (in Russian). Archived from the original on March 6, 2005.
- "Alexander Boyarchuk" (in Russian). Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 23 August 2009.
- "Crimean Astrophysical Observatory" (in Russian). Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 23 August 2009.
- "The Astron Satellite". NASA/GSFC. 26 June 2003. Archived from the original on 26 August 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2009.
- Boyarchuk, A. A.; Grinin, V. P.; Zvereva, A. M.; Petrov, P. P.; Sheikhet, A. I. (1986). "A model for the coma of Comet Halley, based on the Astron ultraviolet spectrophotometry". Pis'ma v Astronomicheskii Zhurnal. 12: 696. Bibcode:1986PAZh...12..696B.
- A.A. Boyarchuk; et al. (1987). "Observations on Astron: Supernova 1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud". Pis'ma v Astronomicheskii Zhurnal (in Russian). 13: 739–743. Bibcode:1987PAZh...13..739B.
- A.A. Boyarchuk; et al. (1986). "A model for the coma of Comet Halley, based on the Astron ultraviolet spectrophotometry". Pis'ma v Astronomicheskii Zhurnal (in Russian). 12: 696–706. Bibcode:1986PAZh...12..696B.
- A.A. Бойарчук (1994). Астрофизические исследования на космической станции "Астрон" (in Russian). Moscow: Nauka.