Myanmar International School
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Myanmar International School (MIS) is an independent coeducational day school, (Nursery school to Year 13) located in Yangon, Myanmar. It is one of 18 international schools located in Yangon and should not be confused with other similarly named international schools in Myanmar such as MISY. MIS follows the internationally recognized Cambridge International Schools curriculum with a core of academic subjects and a range of enrichment courses and activities and with an international teaching staff. The current head of the school is Mr. David Tansey, who formerly served as the head of schools in England before resigning amidst controversy. 
Myanmar International School was founded in 2009 by the Board of Directors of Than Lwin Aye Yar Services Co. Ltd. It is located on Pyin Nya Waddy Street adjacent to the Sedona Hotel and close to Inya Lake. The school opened its doors to the first students on 1 September 2009.
MIS is an officially recognized Cambridge International school which uses the well-known Cambridge system. Myanmar International School has received accreditation to offer:
- Cambridge Primary with Cambridge Primary Checkpoint
- Cambridge Secondary 1 with Cambridge Checkpoint
- Cambridge IGCSE Cambridge ICE
- Cambridge AS/A Level
- Cambridge AICE
MIS is also currently a candidate for accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Staff at MIS come from varied international backgrounds including Australia, England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, India, New Zealand, the Philippines, Russia, South Africa, and the USA. Most classes have an assistant teacher who works closely with the classroom teacher, especially in the area of ESL support.
There are 25 different nationalities represented in the student body of around 650 students. The majority of students are Myanmar. There is a strong representation of students with Chinese nationality. The following are also represented: Japan, USA, Australia, Malaysia, Korea, Russia, India, South Africa, Thailand, as well as other countries.
MIS Year levels and programmes of studyEdit
- Nursery & Kindergarten (3–5 years)
- Learning takes place in a supportive and stimulating environment. Through play, music and the arts children lay foundations for further studies. An emphasis is placed on phonetics as a lead up to reading.
- Years 1-6 (5–11 years)
- Core subjects of Mathematics, English, Science, Information & Communication Technology and Social Studies Enrichment courses in Art, Music, Physical Education and Myanmar Studies Extracurricular and after school activities including Board games, Modern Dance, Glee Club, Speed Typing, Card Making
- Years 7, 8 and 9
- Broad and balanced programme of international study developed by Cambridge International Education
- Core subjects including English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, ICT
- Enrichment courses in Music, Art, Drama, Myanmar Studies and Physical Education
- Year 10 and 11
- IGCSE examinations in English, Mathematics, ICT, Coordinated Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), History, and Business Studies
- Enrichment courses including Drama and Food & Nutrition
- Extra-curricular activities include sports, clubs and the arts
- Field trips to expand the classroom learning process by visiting cultural, historical, entertainment or business establishments in the local area or further afield
- Echo, Liverpool (6 September 2007). "Mystery as school's headteacher is suspended". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- News, Manchester Evening (10 August 2004). "We'll pass the test says head". men. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- News, Manchester Evening (30 April 2005). "Scandal hit school is fighting back". men. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Headmaster suspended from Stanley High". www.qlocal.co.uk. Retrieved 25 July 2018.