Muirhouse is a large high-rise residential suburb in the south-east of Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. It consists of thirteen tower blocks, each with at least 17 floors, low rise flats and numerous houses. All towers are over 54 metres high and were constructed between 1963 and 1964.
The area has two Roman Catholic schools (one being the nearby Our Lady's High School), a non-denominational school, a community centre, several small shopping area, two takeaway shops and a pub. Muirhouse is surrounded by countryside and has many walking routes into Motherwell Town Centre. The nearest train station is Sheildmuir, located on the outskirts of the suburb.
Regeneration and UpgradesEdit
The area has seen regeneration with the destruction of several low rise flats and replaced with housing and green areas .
The tower blocks have seen substantial upgrades over the years. Most obviously, new overcladding was applied to the exteriors between 1997 and 2000 (with the first blocks to be upgraded being Grange and Merryton and the last being Shields and Muirhouse). Other work included the enclosing of external balconies and the installation of CCTV inside and outside the blocks. North Lanarkshire Council has also been upgrading the interior of the flats by replacing dated bathrooms and kitchens.
In 2017, it was reported that the council planned to demolish all the towers in its control over the next 20 years and replace them with modern housing, due to the rising costs of maintenance as the buildings aged, as well as some of the flats being unpopular and underoccupied (although this was not a major issue in Muirhouse).
Tower block namesEdit
- Barons Tower
- Dalziel Tower
- Glassford Tower
- Grange Tower
- Merryton Tower
- Muirhouse Tower
- Netherwood Tower
- Shields Tower
- Glen Tower
- Woodside Tower
- Lodge Tower
- Burnside Tower
- Doonside Tower
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 64 Glasgow (Motherwell & Airdrie) (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2010. ISBN 9780319228951.
- "'It was an experience' – High Living in Motherwell". University of Glasgow. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Plans to demolish every North Lanarkshire tower block over next 20 years, Scottish Construction Now, 20 December 2017
- All council high-rise flats in North Lanarkshire 'could come down', BBC News, 20 December 2017
- Towers among the first to be demolished, Motherwell Times, 30 March 2018
- Building You a Better Future - Regeneration Proposals for your area, North Lanarkshire Council, 9 April 2019
- "Tower Block UK: Flemington Area: Burnside Street, Phase I". University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Buildings in Motherwell: Burnside Street". Emporis. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Tower Block UK: Muirhouse Area: Phase III". University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Buildings in Motherwell: Shields Drive". Emporis. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Muirhouse Primary School
- St Brendan's Primary School
- Isa Money Community Centre
- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Muirhouse-in-Motherwell/1391066651153661 Facebook page for former and present residents
|This North Lanarkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|