Most valuable player
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018)
In sports, a most valuable player award is an honor typically bestowed upon an individual as the most performing player (or players) in an entire league, for a particular competition, or on a specific team. Initially used in professional sports, the term is now also commonly used in amateur sports, as well as in other unrelated fields such as media, business,, music and multiplayer video games. In many sports, MVP awards are presented for a specific match—in other words, a player of the match award. This is particularly true for high profile matches like championship games.
The term is most common in the United States and Canada. In most other countries around the world, "player of the year" is used for a season-spanning award and "player of the match" for individual games. In Australia, Australian rules football clubs and leagues use the term "best and fairest", while those playing rugby league use "player of the year", such as the Dally M Medal. The National Basketball League, however, uses the American-style "MVP" for its awards.
In many cases the awards are voted on by members of the media. In others the vote is by players, coaches, or umpires. In recent years,[when?] online polls from the public decide some awards.
- Major League Baseball's American and National Leagues, AL & NL Championship Series, and World Series; also All-Star Game
- National Football League regular season and Super Bowl; also Pro Bowl
- Hart Memorial Trophy and Lester B. Pearson/Ted Lindsay Award (National Hockey League regular season) and Conn Smythe Trophy (playoffs); the All-Star Game also has an MVP
- National Basketball Association regular season and Finals; also NBA All-Star Game
- Woman National Basketball Association regular season and Finals
- EuroLeague MVP
- Major League Soccer regular season and MLS Cup; also MLS All-Star Game
- FIVB Tournaments
- Canadian Football League regular season, East Division, West Division, and Grey Cup; also "Most Valuable Canadian" awards for the regular season and Grey Cup
- College football's Heisman Trophy
- NCAA Basketball Tournament; there are also various awards for the player(s) selected as player of the year
- Indian Premier League
- National Basketball League regular season and Grand Final
- Leigh Matthews Trophy, given by the AFL Players Association to the AFL's most valuable player (as opposed to the Brownlow Medal, given to the fairest and best)
- Philippine Basketball Association regular season, PBA Finals; also PBA All-Star Game
- European League of Football both for their regular season and their Championship Game
- "Hart Memorial Trophy". Official website of Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Hart Memorial Trophy". NHL.com. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team.
- Carras, Christi (5 November 2020). "John King, CNN's master of election maps, has slept just 6.5 hours since Tuesday". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 November 2020.
But we’ve seen enough, and we’re making the call: CNN’s John King is the MVP.
- Sweney, Mark (6 November 2020). "CNN's John King and his 'magic wall' keep viewers entranced". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 November 2020.
The Los Angeles Times has said King’s indefatigable efforts and insight have made him the election’s “MVP”.
- Dally M Medal 2015
- Most valuable player in IPL