Monroe County School District (Florida)
Monroe County School District is a public school district serving the residents of Monroe County, Florida. The district's administrative offices are headquartered in Key West, Florida, United States, with school sites located throughout the Florida Keys from Key West to Key Largo. The district provides educational services for students enrolled in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade and educational opportunities for adult learners enrolled through adult education programs.
|Monroe County School District|
|241 Trumbo Road|
|Motto||"Charting the course to change"|
|Grades||VPK to 12 (with adult education programs)|
|Superintendent||Theresa N. Axford|
|NCES District ID||1201320|
|Students and staff|
The Monroe County School Board oversees the general management of the district and is responsible for appointing a Superintendent of Schools to head the district's administrative departments. Mark T. Porter has served as the Superintendent of Schools since August 1, 2012 until August 1, 2020.
Enrollment and demographicsEdit
As of November 19, 2015, the Monroe County School District reports a current enrollment of 8,477 students (including students enrolled at district charter schools) and an employee count of 1049 staff members. The employee count includes 575 teachers and 476 non-instructional staff stationed at more than 15 sites within Monroe County.
|Grade||Number of Students||Percent|
The Monroe County School District serves an ethnically diverse population with 52.4% of enrolled students identifying as an ethnicity other than non-Hispanic white. This majority includes a significant number of students who predominantly identify with the local Hispanic population, of any race, accounting for 37.4% of all students. 47.6% of students identify as non-Hispanic white and 10.6% as non-Hispanic black.
|Ethnicity||Number of Students||Percent|
Schools in Monroe CountyEdit
- 6-12 schools
- High schools
- Horace O'Bryant School (Key West)
- Key Largo School (Unincorporated area, on Key Largo)
- Plantation Key School (Islamorada)
- Sugarloaf School (Unincorporated area, on Sugarloaf Key)
- Elementary schools
- Gerald Adams Elementary School (Key West)
- Poinciana Elementary School (Key West)
- Stanley Switlik Elementary School (Marathon)
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Monroe County School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Superintendent of Schools". KeysSchools.com. Monroe County School District. Archived from the original on November 19, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Student Demographics: Data as of 11/19/2015" (PDF). KeysSchools.com. Monroe County School District. November 19, 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 20, 2015. Retrieved November 19, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Staff Demographics: Data as of 9/2/2015" (PDF). KeysSchools.com. Monroe County School District. September 2, 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 20, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)