Mohammad Akram Nadwi
Mohammad Akram Nadwi (born c. 1964) is an Islamic scholar and the Dean of Cambridge Islamic College, Principal of Al-Salam Institute, and an Honorary Visiting Fellow at the Markfield Institute of Higher Education.
Mohammad Akram Nadwi
|Born||1964 (age 55–56)|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford |
University of Cambridge
University of Lucknow
|Occupation||Former Research Fellow at the University of Oxford, Islamic scholar, author, professor|
Nadwi was educated in one of the most famous madrasa and Islamic universities, Darul Uloom Nadwatul Ulema, Lucknow, India and then in Saudi Arabia and Britain.
Writing and viewsEdit
He has written over 30 books in Arabic in the fields of hadith, fiqh, Islamic biography, and Arabic grammar and syntax. Most recently he has completed a 53-volume biographical dictionary of the muhaddithat, the female scholars of hadith. Expecting to find a handful, after eight years he had discovered more than 8000, from as long ago as Umm al-Darda, the wife of one of the companions of the Prophet.
Nadwi says he does not advocate unrestricted mixing between the sexes, but acknowledges that Muslim societies and families often limit the potential of their girls and women. He compares this limitation to the "live burial" (female infanticide) practised in pre-Islamic Arabia. He attributes to the "decline of every aspect of Islam" an insecurity and weakness which leads to these restrictions on girls' education and women's rights.
- Shaykh ’Abū Al-Hasan ‘Alī Nadwī – His Life & Works (Nadwi Foundation, 2013) The book covers all the various aspects of the life and works of ’Abū al-Hasan ‘Alī Nadwī including the background of Muslims in India and the rest of the Muslim world from a political, intellectual and educational perspective.
- Al-Muhaddithat: The Women Scholars in Islam (Oxford: Interface Publications, 2007) A translation of the muqaddimah (preface) of his magnum opus above.
- Abu Hanifah: His Life, Legal Method and Legacy (Leicester: Kube, 2010)
- Al-Fiqh Al-Islami: According to the Hanafi Madhab: Purification, Prayers and Funerals 2 vols. (London: Angelwing, 2007) An original compilation of the fiqh of Imam Abu Hanifah and his school. For the first time in English, the detailed rulings of this school are presented together with the evidence on which they are based; every argument is fully and carefully referenced. Nadwi takes current circumstances into consideration, making this book the first authentic, reliable and relevant account of Hanafi practice in English.
- Madrasah Life (London: Turath, 2007) The translation (from Urdu) of his memoir of a student’s day at Nadwat al-Ulama.
- The Garden of the Hadith Scholars (London: Turath, 2007) by Imam Abd Al-Aziz Ad-Dihlawi. Translated from Persian into Arabic and annotated by Mohammad Akram Nadwi. Translated into English by Aisha Bewley.
- Ibn Ḥazm on the lawfulness of women attending prayers in the mosque (Translation and Notes) Oxford: Interface Publications, 2015.
- Power, Carla (25 February 2007). "A Secret History". New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "College Dean | Cambridge Islamic College". www.cambridgeislamiccollege.org. Archived from the original on 9 August 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Dr. Akram Nadwi | Al-Salam Institute". alsalam.ac.uk. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Personnel | Markfield Institute of Higher Education". www.mihe.ac.uk. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- Power, Carla (15 September 2015). "What the Koran really says about women". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- Ato Quayson, Girish Daswani, A Companion to Diaspora and Transnationalism, Chapter 29. ISBN 1118320646.
- Karin Klenke, Women in Leadership: Contextual Dynamics and Boundaries, p 174. ISBN 0857245619
- Shaykh ’Abū Al-Hasan ‘Alī Nadwī – His Life & Works at Mecca Books.
- "Reclaiming history: Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies produces 40-volume work on Muslim women scholars and prayer leaders", Women Living Under Muslim Laws.
- Mecca Books.
- Abu Hanifah: His Life, Legal Method and Legacy Archived 29 September 2017 at the Wayback Machine at Kube Publishing
- "Al-Fiqh Al-Islami Vol 2", Angelwing.
- Madrasah Life at Mecca Books.
- The Garden of the Hadith Scholars at Mecca Books.