Mixpo is an advertising software company, which provides software that allows companies and agencies to execute multi-screen video advertisement campaigns. The company’s services include software that allows clients to create online video ads and VideoVerify, a tool meant to identify fraudulent web publishers who inflate online ad numbers through the use of bots.
|Key people||Charlie Tillinghast|
Mixpo launched in 2007 and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington. The company was one of America’s most promising in 2013 according to Forbes. Mixpo was acquired by Netsertive in August 2017.
Mixpo began as PiXPO, a Victoria, British Columbia-based company that helped consumers set up online video broadcast sites. PiXPO was funded by $6.5 million in venture capital provided by Madrona Venture Group, Yaletown Venture Partners, Growthworks Capital Ltd and others.
Mixpo president and CEO Anupam Gupta joined the company in 2006. Prior to joining Mixpo, Gupta worked as an executive at Microsoft. Mixpo launched in January 2007 with products designed to make it easier for small businesses to post multimedia online. By 2008, Mixpo expanded to include analytic and video editing tools, which broadened its user base to include ad agencies, publishers and larger businesses.
In 2011, Mixpo introduced SmartVideo, a tool that allows users to create videos in both Adobe Flash and HTML5. The tool also identifies the type of device an end user is using, which ensures that end-users only receive Flash video on devices that support Flash.
Mixpo contributed to Video Player Ad-Serving Interface Definition (VPAID) 2.0, a video format that seeks to standardize online video and provide a common interface between video players and ad units. VPAID 2.0 was developed under the auspices of the Interactive Advertising Bureau. In 2013, Mixpo collaborated with Discovery Communications to launch the first VPAID 2.0-enabled video ad campaign.
Charlie Tillinghast joined Mixpo as President and CEO in 2014. Prior to joining Mixpo, Tillinghast was President and CEO of MSNBC, a joint venture between Microsoft and NBC News, where he led the company for over a decade until it was acquired by NBC News in 2012. Tillinghast served on Mixpo's board of directors for one year prior to becoming the company's CEO.
Mixpo was acquired by Netsertive in August 2017.
- Eric Eldon (3 February 2009). "Online video ad company Mixpo raises $4M". New York Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Mixpo". Forbes. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Brier Dudley (30 April 2008). "Seattle video startup Mixpo enters pupa stage". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- John Cook (15 January 2013). "Former msnbc.com boss joins board of Mixpo to bring video ads to all screens". GeekWire. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Tyler Loechner (12 September 2013). "Mixpo Unveils VideoVerify To Sniff Out Suspicious Campaign Behavior". RTM Daily. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Robin Wauters (3 February 2009). "Mixpo Raises $4 Million More For Video Advertising Tech". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "(Digital) Double The Value Of Your Display Ads". Radio Ink Magazine. 15 May 2013. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- John Cook (30 April 2008). "Mixpo brings video ads to small businesses". Seattle Pi. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Greg Lamm (7 September 2008). "Seattle video ad agency signs up five online news websites". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Pete Cashmore (29 January 2007). "Startups Going Live: Mixpo, Eyejot, Yodio, Vringo, My-Currency, Nexo, ClipSyndicate, Magnify.net, More". Mashable. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Madrona leads $6.5M investment in PiXPO". Pudget Sound Business Journal. 18 May 2006. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Kristina Knight (20 September 2011). "Mixpo offers real time video solution". BizReport. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Video Player-Ad Interface Definition (VPAID)" (PDF). Interactive Advertising Bureau. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Will Richmond (11 April 2013). "FreeWheel and Mixpo Team Up to Deliver First VPAID 2.0 Cross-Platform Video Ads for Discovery". Video Nuze. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Animal Planet deploys VPAID 2.0 interactive ad platform from Mixpo, FreeWheel". Rapid TV News. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Gavin O'Malley (17 July 2013). "Mixpo Rolls Out Social, Syndication Tools". Online Media Daily. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Kristina Knight (18 July 2013). "Mixpo pushes social syndication to market". BizReport. Retrieved 16 October 2013.