Miss USA 1993
Miss USA 1993, the 42nd Miss USA pageant, was televised live from the Century II Convention Center in Wichita, Kansas on February 19, 1993. At the conclusion of the final competition, Kenya Moore of Michigan was crowned by outgoing titleholder Shannon Marketic of California. Moore became the second Miss USA titleholder from Michigan and the second African-American winner ever.
|Miss USA 1993|
|Date||February 19, 1993|
|Venue||Century II Convention Center, Wichita, Kansas|
The pageant was held in Wichita, Kansas, for the fourth and last consecutive year.
|Miss USA 1993|
|Best State Costume||
|Most Beautiful Eyes||
|Best in Swimsuit||
- Michigan wins competition for the second time.
- Georgia earns the 1st runner-up position for the first time and surpasses its previous highest placement in 1988. Also it reaches the state's highest ever placement in the pageant. This has yet to be equaled or surpassed.
- Kansas earns the 2nd runner-up position for the first time and reaches the highest placement since Kelli McCarty won in 1991, as well as Top 6 for the third year in a row.
- Hawaii finishes as Top 6 for the first time and reaches its highest placement since 1981.
- New Jersey finishes as Top 6 for the first time and reaches its highest placement since 1991.
- Pennsylvania finishes as Top 6 for the first time and reaches its highest placement since Michele McDonald won in 1971.
- States that placed in semifinals the previous year were California, Georgia, Kansas, South Carolina and Texas.
- California and Kansas placed for the third consecutive year.
- Georgia, South Carolina and Texas made their second consecutive placement.
- Hawaii, New Jersey and New York last placed in 1991.
- Michigan and Tennessee last placed in 1990.
- Pennsylvania last placed in 1989.
- Iowa last placed in 1960.
- Alabama, Arizona and North Carolina break an ongoing streak of placements since 1991.
The following are the contestants' scores in the preliminary competition.
The Miss USA 1993 delegates were :
|State||Candidate||Age||Hometown||Regional Group |
|Arkansas||Kati Fish||Hot Springs||South|
|District of Columbia||Alena Neves||Washington, DC||Northeast|
|Florida||Shakeela Gajadha||Coral Gables||South|
|Hawaii||Kelly Ann Hu||24||Honolulu||Southwest|
|Idaho||Natalie Nukaya||Idaho Falls||Northwest|
|Indiana||Lisa Higgins||South Bend||Midwest|
|Iowa||Jan Hoyer||Fort Madison||Midwest|
|Maryland||Mary Ann Cimino||20||Baltimore||Northeast|
|Michigan||Kenya Summer Moore||22||Detroit||Midwest|
|Montana||Kristen Anderson||24||Columbia Falls||Northwest|
|Nevada||Alexis Oliver||Las Vegas||Southwest|
|New Hampshire||Heidi Cambra||25||Hampstead||Northeast|
|New Jersey||Amy Fissel||25||Ocean City||Northeast|
|New Mexico||Daniela Johnson||Albuquerque||Southwest|
|New York||Wendy Marie Mock||21||Levittown||Northeast|
|North Carolina||Christa Tyson||Monroe||South|
|North Dakota||Jennifer Seminary||24||Fargo||Midwest|
|Ohio||Andrea Pacione||North Royalton||Midwest|
|Oklahoma||Brenda Caudle||Oklahoma City||South|
|Oregon||Dawn Kennedy||Lake Oswego||Northwest|
|Rhode Island||Juli Roach||Wakefield||Northeast|
|South Carolina||Kelli Gosnell||22||Pacolet||South|
|South Dakota||Kara Rovere||22||Sturgis||Midwest|
|Tennessee||Camila Dawn 'Cammy' Gregory||26||Paris||South|
|Utah||Natalie Pyper||24||Salt Lake City||Southwest|
|Virginia||Stephanie Satterfield||19||Virginia Beach||South|
|West Virginia||Jennifer Johnson||Huntington||South|
|Wyoming||Leissann Marie Stolz||Cheyenne||Northwest|
- In a record for the time, eleven contestants had previously competed in either the Miss Teen USA or Miss America pageants:
- Delegates who had previously competed at Miss Teen USA were:
- Kelly Hu (Hawaii) - Miss Hawaii Teen USA and Miss Teen USA 1985
- Jan Hoyer (Iowa) - Miss Iowa Teen USA 1987
- Erin Nance (Georgia) - Miss Georgia Teen USA 1988
- Jennifer Seminary (North Dakota) - Miss North Dakota Teen USA 1988
- Kristen Anderson (Montana) - Miss Montana Teen USA 1988
- Jana Durban (Colorado) - Miss Colorado Teen USA 1989
- Stephanie Satterfield (Virginia) - Miss Virginia Teen USA 1989
- Mary Ann Cimino (Maryland) - Miss Maryland Teen USA 1990
- Tavia Shackels (Kansas) - Miss Missouri Teen USA 1990 (Top 12 semifinalist at Miss Teen USA 1990)
- Allison Benusis (Connecticut) - Miss Connecticut Teen USA 1991
- Delegate who had previously held a Miss America state title:
- Amy Fissel (New Jersey) - Miss New Jersey 1991
- Lisa Higgins (Indiana) competed in the 1990 Mother/Daughter USA Pageant representing the state of Kentucky
- This was the first year that Kimberly Greenwood, Miss Tennessee USA 1989, directed the Miss Tennessee USA pageant. She remains the director for Tennessee, and also for Georgia, and has produced two Miss USA winners.
- This was the third out of seven years that introducing the delegates in regions. However, this was the first year that the states and the regions was designated differently from the United States Census Bureau. (See List of regions in the United States#Census Bureau-designated regions and divisions for more information about the regions.)
- The groups in the table are based on the parade of states segment in the show.
- "Fresno entrant named Miss California USA". The Press-Enterprise. 1992-10-25.
- "LSU student to be part of pageant". The Baton Rouge Advocate. 1993-02-19.
- McDonald, Carol (1992-11-30). "6th time a winner for pageant contestant". Worcester Telegram & Gazette.
- Freeborn, Dan (1992-11-19). "She's got her cap set for an education // `No. 1 priority is school,' says Miss Minnesota USA". Star-Tribune Newspaper of the Twin Cities Mpls.-St. Paul.
- McCabe, George (1992-02-13). "Miss Nevada USA says her age may help in first big pageant". The Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- "Dawn Kennedy captures Miss Oregon USA title". Portland Oregonian. 1992-12-24.
- Associated Press (1992-07-22). "Miss Texas USA named". Houston Chronicle.
- "Stephanie Satterfield Miss Virginia USA". The Virginian-Pilot and The Ledger-Star. 1993-01-27.
- "Kimberly Payne Greenwood named as Miss Tennessee USA Director". Business Wire. 1992-05-28.
- For example, In that year Texas was in the southwest region, while in 1991, 1992 and according to the Census Bureau, Texas was in the south region, etc)