Miss California USA
The Miss California USA Pageant was produced by Carolee Munger. Prior to Ms. Munger, Guyrex Productions held the franchise for a number of years and produced successful televised pageants with over 100 participants. Before Guyrex, the pageant was produced by Dr. Leanord Stallcup, who took over the directorship after Faye Smith successfully led the way through the 1970s and 1980s. Also was produced by Top 10 Productions, Inc. San Diego-based. Top 10 was led by Pam Wilson and Alex Kuty, who have been involved in pageant and fashion production for many years. Top 10 took over for K2 Productions in 2013. K2 had a number of controversies but during its 9 years producing the pageant, it managed to be the top placing state at Miss USA, growing the entry numbers to the largest state pageant in the history of Miss USA and doing the first live television airing in over 10 years. In the beginning, K2 Productions was directed by former Miss Teen USA 1995, Keylee Sue Sanders, and Keith Lewis. K2 Productions was later directed by Lewis and briefly co-produced by Miss USA 1995, Shanna Moakler.
In 2009 Carrie Prejean was forced to resign after placing 1st runner-up at Miss USA 2009 after a controversy developed regarding the answer she gave to her final interview question at the national pageant. Pageant organisers claimed she was fired due to contractual violations.
California has produced a Miss USA every decade (except the 2000s) and is ranked second highest among states in terms of placements, after Texas.
Shauna Gambill, who won the national Miss Teen USA crown in 1994, is the only Miss California USA who has previously held the Miss California Teen USA title. As Miss California USA in 1998, Gambill placed 1st Runner-Up to Shawnae Jebbia of Massachusetts. Three Miss California USA titleholders have also competed in the Miss America pageant while two were former winners of the Miss Teenage California Scholarship Pageant.
Gallery of titleholdersEdit
Nadia Mejia, Miss California USA 2016
Natalie Pack, Miss California USA 2012
Katie Blair after placing first Runner-Up at Miss California USA 2011. She later assumed the title after Campanella won Miss USA 2011 (pictured in 2010)
Nicole Johnson, on-stage after being crowned Miss California USA 2010
Tami Farrell after placing first runner-up at Miss California USA 2009. She later assumed the title after Prejean dethroned
Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA 2009. She was later dethroned
Raquel Beezley, Miss California USA 2008
Meagan Tandy, Miss California USA 2007 (pictured in 2015)
Tamiko Nash, Miss California USA 2006
- Miss USAs: Terry Huntingdon (1959), Maria Remenyi (1966), Summer Bartholomew (1975), Julie Hayek (1983), Shannon Marketic (1992), Alyssa Campanella (2011)
- 1st Runners-Up: Pamela Stettler (1961), Susan Bradley (1967), Diana Magaña (1988), Shauna Gambill (1998), Brittany Hogan (2005), Tamiko Nash (2006), Carrie Prejean (2009)
- 2nd Runners-Up: Kim Hobson (1972), Diane Schock (1991), Angelique Breaux (1999)
- 3rd Runners-Up: Donna Schurr (1955), Marilyn Tindall (1962), Gayle Gorrell (1974), Pamela Gergley (1977), Cynthia Kerby (1981), Meagan Tandy (2007)
- 4th Runners-Up: Francine Herack (1963), Troas Hayes (1969), Kelly Parsons (1986)
- Top 5: Nadia Mejía (2016)
- Top 10/12: Karin Morrell (1971), Carol Herrema (1973), Joni Pennock (1976), Donna Adrain (1978), Linda Fogarty (1979), Christina Faust (1989), Jane Olvera (1993), Tarah Peters (2002), Nicole Johnson (2010), Cassandra Kunze (2014), India Williams (2017), Kelley Johnson (2018)
- Top 15/20: Marcella Roulette (1953), Sandra Constance (1954), Peggy Jacobson (1957), Donna Brooks (1958), Teri Janssen (1960), Jeanne Venables (1964), Kathryn Hage (1965), Suzanne Fromm (1968), Linda Hall (1970), Raquel Beezley (2008), Mabelynn Capeluj (2013)
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age1||Placement at Miss USA||Special awards at Miss USA||Notes|
|2020||Allyshia Gupta||Los Angeles||23||TBA||TBA|
|2019||Erica Dann||San Francisco||27|
|2018||Kelley Johnson||Los Angeles||24||Top 10||Previously Miss Colorado 2015 and 2nd Runner-Up to Miss America 2016|
|2017||India Williams||Lafayette||20||Top 10|
|2016||Nadia Mejia||Diamond Bar||20||Top 5||Daughter of Gerardo Mejia and Kathy Eicher, Miss West Virginia USA 1989|
|2015||Natasha Martinez||Chino Hills||23|
|2014||Cassandra Kunze||San Diego||20||Top 10||Miss Photogenic|
|2013||Mabelynn Capeluj||San Diego||21||Top 15||Competed on Nuestra Belleza Latina 2015|
|2012||Natalie Pack||Palos Verdes||22||Contestant of cycle 12 on America's Next Top Model|
|2011||Katie Blair||Los Angeles||23||Did not compete|
|Alyssa Campanella||Los Angeles||20||Miss USA 2011|
|2010||Nicole Johnson||Westlake Village||24||Top 10, Finished 9th at Miss USA 2010||Later married Olympian and 22-time gold medalist Michael Phelps|
|2009||Tami Farrell||Los Angeles||25||Did not compete|
|Carrie Prejean||San Diego||21||1st Runner-Up||Involved in the Miss USA 2009 same-sex marriage controversy; later dethroned.|
|2008||Raquel Beezley||Barstow||21||Top 15, Finished 12th at Miss USA 2008||Raquel Beezley was crowned Miss California USA 2008 after an accounting error in vote counting had previously crowned Christina Silva.|
|2007||Meagan Tandy||Fontana||21||3rd Runner-Up||Actress known for roles on Teen Wolf and UnREAL|
|2006||Tamiko Nash||Los Angeles||26||1st Runner-Up||Model on The Price Is Right in 2007 and 2008.|
|2005||Brittany Hogan||Escondido||20||1st Runner-Up||Contestant on Miss USA episode of Fear Factor in 2005.|
|2004||Ellen Chapman||San Jose||22||Sister of Miss Nevada USA 2011 Sarah Chapman; Previously Miss Teenage California 1999|
|2003||Candice Sanders||La Habre||26|
|2002||Tarah Peters||San Diego||21||Top 12 semifinalist|
|2001||Jennifer Glover||Castro Valley||21||Later Miss California 2002. Previously Miss United States International 1999, competed at Miss International 1999 in Tokyo, Japan.|
|2000||Rebekah Ann Keller||Lakewood||25||Previously Miss California 1997 and 4th Runner-Up at Miss America 1998|
|1999||Angelique Breaux||San Diego||21||2nd Runner-Up||Later Miss World USA 2000 and semi-finalist at Miss World 2000.|
|1998||Shauna Gambill||Acton||21||1st Runner-Up||Previously Miss California Teen USA 1994 and Miss Teen USA 1994. Later Miss World USA 1998 and semi-finalist at Miss World 1998.|
|1997||Alisa Kimble||Lake Elsinore||27|
|1996||Shauna Lyn Searles||Tustin||26||First woman to hold the Miss California USA title twice|
|1995||Deana Avila||Laguna Niguel||Won the 1988 Miss Teenage California Scholarship Pageant|
|1994||Toay Lynn Foster||Oxnard|
|1993||Jane Olvera||Fresno||23||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1992||Shauna Lyn Searles||Los Angeles||Did not compete|
|Shannon Marketic||Malibu||21||Miss USA 1992||Miss Photogenic||Semifinalist at Miss Universe 1992|
|1991||Diane Schock||Fontana||24||2nd Runner-Up|
|1989||Christina Maria Faust||San Fernando Valley||23||Top 10 semifinalist|
|1988||Diana Magaña||Rancho Palos Verdes||22||1st Runner-Up||Later Miss World USA 1988 and Top 10 semifinalist at Miss World 1988.|
|1987||Lori Dickerson||Lodi||Miss Congeniality|
|1986||Kelly Parsons||Los Angeles||22||4th Runner-Up||Mouseketeer, Model and Actress|
|1985||Zina Ponder||Long Beach|
|1984||Theresa Ring||San Diego||1987 Star Search spokesmodel|
|1983||Julie Lynne Hayek||Westwood||22||Miss USA 1983||1st Runner-Up at Miss Universe 1983, has starred in Dallas, Twin Peaks and As the World Turns; Future actress Mariska Hargitay placed 4th Runner-Up in this competition|
|1982||Suzanne Dewames||Thousand Oaks|
|1981||Cynthia Kerby||Westlake Village||3rd Runner-Up||Miss Photogenic & Miss Congeniality||First woman to win Miss Photogenic & Miss Congeniality at Miss USA|
|1980||Kari Lloyd||Thousand Oaks|
|1979||Linda Fogarty||Fullerton||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1978||Donna Adrain||Anaheim||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1977||Pamela Gergely||San Rafael||3rd Runner-Up|
|1976||Joni Pennock||Fullerton||20||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1975||Summer Bartholomew||Merced||23||Miss USA 1975||2nd Runner-Up at Miss Universe 1975, Past hostess of Sale of the Century|
|1974||Gayle Gorrell||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1973||Carol Herrema||Artesia||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1972||Kim Hobson||San Mateo||2nd Runner-Up|
|1971||Karin Morrell||Auburn||Top 12 semifinalist|
|1970||Linda Hall||Los Angeles||Top 15 semifinalist|
|1969||Troas Hayes||Sacramento||4th Runner-Up|
|1968||Suzanne Fromm||Los Angeles||Top 15 semifinalist||Best State Costume|
|1967||Susan Bradley||Tustin||1st Runner-Up||Was offered to take the Miss USA title when Sylvia Hitchcock became Miss Universe. She refused to take it.|
|1996||Maria Remenyi||El Cerrito||20||Miss USA 1966||Miss Photogenic||Semifinalist at Miss Universe 1966|
|1965||Kathryn Lee Hage||Santa Monica||Top 15 semifinalist|
|1964||Jeanne Venables||Sacramento||Top 15 semifinalist||Miss Congeniality|
|1963||Francine Herack||Encino||4th Runner-Up|
|1962||Marilyn Tindall||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1961||Pamela Stettler||San Rafael||1st Runner-Up|
|1960||Teri Janssen||Los Angeles||Top 15 semifinalist|
|1959||Terry Lynn Huntingdon||Mount Shasta||19||Miss USA 1959||2nd Runner-Up at Miss Universe 1959|
|1958||Donna Kay Brooks||Los Angeles||Top 15 semifinalist|
|1957||Peggy Jacobson||Los Angeles||Top 15 semifinalist|
|1956||Shirlee Witty||Los Angeles|
|1955||Donna Schurr||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1954||Sandra Constance||Los Angeles||Top 20 semifinalist|
|1953||Marcella Roulette||Los Angeles||Top 20 semifinalist|
|1952||Gloria Maxwell||Los Angeles|
1 Age at the time of the Miss USA pageant
- Gladstone, Mark (10 January 1983). "New rules make runner-up in beauty contest a winner". The Los Angeles Times.
- Russell, Kelle (29 July 1988). "Countdown begins for title quest". The Desert Sun.
- "Carrie Prejean stripped of Miss California title". Today. 11 June 2009.
- McKinley, Jesse (10 June 2009). "Donald Trump Fires Miss California".
- Harding, Todd (December 4, 2017). "Former Miss Colorado Wins Miss California USA Pageant". K99 News.
- Udell, Erin (2 January 2018). "Former Windsor resident mocked by 'The View' co-host named Miss California". The Coloradoan.
- Taylor, Evelyn (17 January 2017). "Miss California: LMU Junior Represents Santa Monica and Takes Coveted Crown". Westside Today. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- Gore, Leada (6 June 2016). "'Rico Suave's' daughter: Miss California is Nadia Mejia, daughter of '90s pop star Gerardo". AL.com.
- "Mabelynn Capeluj Crowned Miss California USA 2013". Beauty Pageant News. January 13, 2013. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- Gruszecki, Debra (9 January 2012). "Miss California USA crowned". The Desert Sun.
- "Glitz, glamour, gowns". The Desert Sun. November 22, 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- Mix-Up Strips Miss California-USA of Her Title
- Cristi, Andrew (6 December 2017). "WILL YOU TAKE THIS ROSE? UNREAL Beauty MEAGAN TANDY Dishes on Season 2 of Lifetime's Hit Show!". Huffington Post.
- "Miss USA crowned". Dallas Morning News. Associated Press. February 8, 1992. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Shannon La Rhea Marketic, Miss California USA, was crowned Miss USA 1992 Friday night in Wichita, Kan. The 22-year-old Pepperdine University student, a native of Malibu, looked upward when she realized she had won. She then made a thank-you gesture to the audience and judges.
- "New Miss California". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1987-08-31. p. 6.
- "Bringing Up Beauty / In the months before the Miss USA Pageant, advisers work on Miss California". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1987-10-01. p. 6.
- "Miss California-USA". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1986-10-30. p. 6.
- "Personal Mention". Houston Chronicle. 1987-02-13.
- "Would-be dentist wears a crown". Philadelphia Daily News. May 13, 1983. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Miss California, Julie Lynne Hayek, a green-eyed student model who wants to be a dentist, was crowned Miss USA last night.
- "Sharing Gospel is Great Joy for Miss California". The Deseret News. 1976-11-06.[permanent dead link]