Ministry of Finance (Russia)
Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation (Russian: Министерство финансов Российской Федерации, Минфин России, MinFin) is a federal ministry, responsible for general financial policy and for general management in the field of finance of the Russian Federation. The ministry has two predecessors, the most notable one being the Ministry of Finance (Soviet Union) who is itself the successor of the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Empire. The agency has its headquarters in Ilinka Street 9. in Moscow.
Headquarters of the ministry in Moscow
|Formed||October 24, 1780 as Expedition of state revenues|
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of the Russian Federation|
|Headquarters||Ilinka Street 9, Moscow|
|Annual budget||1611.8 billion rouble (FY 2011)|
Anton Siluanov serve as current Minister of Finance of the Russian Federation since September 2011.
The Treasury Governing body in Russia was established by Imperial Decree of Catherine II in October 24, 1780 as The Expedition of state revenues, which was, in fact, the beginning of the creation of state financial authority in Russia.
In the Soviet Union, the Ministry was renamed as the Ministry of Finance (MOF USSR), which combines the Treasury of the Soviet republics, in particular the Ministry of Finance of the RSFSR.
The Ministry of Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic was part of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and was under the authority of the Soviet Ministry of Finance under The Council of Ministers of the USSR, the official name of the Soviet government.
By Decree of the President of the RSFSR from November 11, 1991 (Presidential Decree № 190) The Ministry of Finance was merged with the Ministry of Economy of and the new ministry was called the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the Russian Federative Republic. Under Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federative Soviet Republic (later the Government of Russia) from November 15, 1991 (Resolution № 8) the Ministry of Finance was liquidated and its businesses and organizations transferred to the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic.
From December 25, 1991 to February 19, 1992 the Ministry was called Ministry of Economy and Finance. By Presidential Decree of February 19, 1992 № 156, it was again divided into two ministries - the Ministry of the Economy and Finance Ministry.
Because of the 2014 Crimean crisis, a number of Western countries aimed sanctions at Russia, with personal financial transactions by certain Russian individuals proscribed. Among these sanctioned individuals were Arkady Rotenberg and Boris Rotenberg, who also happened to be shareholders of certain Russian banks. On 24 March, MasterCard and Visa declined to permit transactions at these banks for a number of hours, ostensibly because they had misinterpreted the sanctions document. Anton Siluanov, then-current Minister of Finance, told reporters on 26 March that he had revived plans to develop a Russian alternative card payment system to cut its dependence on Visa and MasterCard after these disruptions in their service. Siluanov said that "The payments restriction by Visa and Mastercard at one bank made us start thinking very seriously how we can secure ourselves against this kind of cases." President Vladimir Putin agreed the next day in conference with legislators: "This wasn’t our decision. We need to defend our interests. And we’ll do that. It is really too bad that certain companies have decided on [...] restrictions . I think this will simply cause them to lose certain segments of the market - a very profitable market."
- Department of administration and control
- Department of budgetary policy and methodology
- Department of tax policy and customs schedule
- Department of state debt and state financial assets
- Department of financial policy
- Department of regional budgets
- Department of regulation of state financial control, auditing, accounting and records
- Law Department
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of military and law enforcement service and the state defense order
- Administrative Department
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of social welfare and science
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of state management, judicial and public service
- Department of development and execution of federal budget
- Department of international financial relations
- Department of information technologies in the sphere of budgeting and state and local finance management
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of transport, roads, natural resources and agriculture
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of innovation, civil industry, energetics, communication and public-private partnership
Russian Ministers of FinanceEdit
- Steven Rosefielde, The Russian Economy: From Lenin to Putin, 2007, 260 p.
- Nihon Sōgō Kenkyūjo, The Russian economy: from stability to growth, Hoshino Committee on Economic Reform in Russia - 1996, 78 p.
- Robert C. Stuart, Paul R. Gregory, The Russian economy: past, present, and future - 1995, 146 p.
- Joseph R. Blasi, Maya Kroumova, Douglas Kruse, Kremlin capitalism: the privatization of the Russian economy - 1997, 249 p.
- Steve H. Hanke, Lars Jonung, Kurt Schuler, Russian currency and finance: a currency board approach to reform - 1993 - 222 p.
- David Stuart Lane, Russian banking: evolution, problems and prospects, 2002 - 268 p.
- Ivan Bloich / Блиох И. С. Финансы России XIX столетия (СПб., 1882)
- Вестник Финансов, Промышленности и Торговли (1894 г., № 5 и 8; 1895 г., № 7; 1896 г., № 21).
- Высшие и центральные государственные учреждения России, 1801—1917 гг. СПб., 2001. Т. 2.
- История Министерства финансов Российской Федерации. В 4 т. Т.1. 1903 - 1917. М., 2002.
- Министерство финансов //Экономическая история России с древнейших времен до 1917 г. Энциклопедия. Т.1. М.: РОСПЭН, 2008
- Соловьев Я.В. Министерство финансов Российской империи в 1858 - 1903 гг.: организация и функционирование. Диссертация на соискание ученой степени кандидата исторических наук. М., 2003.
- Соловьев Я.В. Министерство финансов Российской империи в начале царствования Александра II (1856 - 1862 годы)//Вестник Московского государственного областного университета. Серия «История и политические науки». 2004. №3.
- Соловьев Я.В. Бюрократический аппарат Министерства финансов в пореформенную эпоху //Вопросы истории. 2006. №7.
- Dmitry Tolstoi / Толстой Д. А., История финансовых учреждений со времени основания государства до кончины императрицы Екатерины II (СПб., 1848)
- Д. Н. Шилов, Государственные деятели Российской империи 1802—1917. С.-Петербург, 2002.
- Государственная власть СССР. Высшие органы власти и управления и их руководители. 1923—1991 гг. Москва, 1999.
- "Basic parameters of the Russian draft federal budget for 2011"
- Home page Archived 2009-12-21 at the Wayback Machine. Ministry of Finance. Retrieved on 4 December 2010. "Contact information 109097, Moscow, Ilinka Str. 9" - Address in Russian: "109097, Москва, ул. Ильинка, д.9"
- History of Russian banking Archived 2012-07-23 at the Wayback Machine, Institute for Banking by the Association of Russian Banks
- Officially, between November 11, 1991 and February 19, 1992, the ministry was named Ministry of Economy and Finance the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic (Russian Federation)
- cnn.com: "Visa and MasterCard resume service at two Russian banks" 24 Mar 2014
- "Visa, MasterCard block some Russian cards" 21 Mar 2014
- npr.org: "Declined: Visa, MasterCard Freeze Out Targeted Russian Banks" 21 Mar 2014
- "Russia renews plan for domestic alternative to Visa, Mastercard" 26 Mar 2014
- euractiv.com: "Putin ‘sanctions’ Visa, Master Card" 27 Mar 2014
- bloomberg.com: "Putin Touts Russian Proxy for Visa, MasterCard After Sanctions" 27 Mar 2014