Millard North High School
Millard North High School is a high school in Omaha, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Millard Public Schools district. Millard North partially opened in 1978 for 9th and 10th grade students. In 1981, the second phase of the project was completed and the school began to serve students in grades 9-12; at that time, the school's name was changed to Millard North High School. The school completed an expansion in 2007. Millard North underwent a comprehensive renovation which was to be finished in 2016.
|Millard North High|
1010 S. 144th St.
|School board||Millard Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||144.25 (FTE)|
|Number of students||2,560 (2017-18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.75|
|Color(s)||Blue and silver with green accent|
Millard North is one of three high schools in Omaha to carry the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, and was the first in the state to offer it. Along with Millard North Middle School, Millard North High School offers the IB Middle Years Programme. The only other schools in Nebraska that offer the Diploma Programme are Lincoln High School in Lincoln and Omaha Central in Omaha.
Millard North is part of the Millard Public Schools System, which offers the Academy program for those students aspiring to a particular career after graduation. Millard North was home to the Finance Academy which started in 2009, but was ended after the 2012-13 school year. Millard North sends students to the other three Millard high schools to participate in the other academies. Currently there are five academies offered in the Millard district: Education at West; Entrepreneurship at South; and Culinary Skills, Health Sciences, and Distribution and Logistics Management at Horizon. Academy students graduate with almost a full year of college credit (though this varies by academy) and partake in the program during the junior and senior years of high school.
|Season||Sport||Number of championships||Year|
|Fall||Football||5||2003, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2015|
|Tennis, boys'||2||1998, 2018|
|Volleyball||3||1987, 2016, 2018||Forensics||3||SO MANY|
|Marching Band||1||2016, 2019|
|Soccer, boys'||2||1995, 2007|
|Soccer, girls'||7||1988, 1994, 1997, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2018|
|Tennis, girls'||3||1989, 2001, 2002|
|Track and field, girls'||3||2005, 2006, 2008|
Millard North has two official student publications. The Hoofbeat, the newspaper, is published every three weeks and maintains an online website. The publication received the Cornhusker Award in 2010 and 2020. The Stampede, the school yearbook, is published in May with a supplement published in August. The Millard North journalism program won first place overall in the 2011 Nebraska state competition and were co-State Champions in 2012.
Nebraska Economics ChallengeEdit
Millard North operates an economics program, associated with the Advanced Placement Program, to compete in the Nebraska Economics Challenge. Millard North won four straight championships from 2011-2012 to 2014-2015.
- Lance Cade, professional wrestler
- Eric Crouch, football player, 2001 Heisman Trophy winner
- Conor Gillaspie, baseball player, third baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- Ryan Malone, National Hockey League forward
- Seth Olsen, football player, offensive lineman who has played for the Denver Broncos and Minnesota Vikings
- Paul Stastny, hockey player, center for the St. Louis Blues
- Jeff Tarpinian, football player, linebacker for the Houston Texans
- Patrick Tyrance, professional football player, Los Angeles Rams
- Michael Zagurski, Major League Baseball pitcher
- MILLARD NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
- "School board OKs $9.75M contract for Millard North renovations — about $1M over estimated price tag". Omaha.com. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Find an IB World School". International Baccalaureate Organization. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "MPS Academies". Millard Public School District. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Nebraska School Activities Association" (English). Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "2011 Cornhusker Awards". Nebraska High School Press Association. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "2011 State Journalism Results". Nebraska High School Press Association. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Millard North High School". Millard Public Schools. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Bellevue East teams sweep Nebraska Economic Challenge titles". Nebraska Economics Challenge. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- FuneralNet. "FuneralNet: Custom Funeral Home Website Design - Obituaries". porterloring.com. Retrieved 25 November 2015.