List of Monsters, Inc. characters
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The monster characters reside in the city of Monstropolis. According to a DVD bonus feature, Monstropolis was founded after all of the monsters who once co-existed with humans were chased off the mainland and eventually moved to an island on an unknown world where they have lived ever since. The only way for them to enter human-inhabited areas was via closet doors.
The company Monsters, Inc. provides Monstropolis with power from the screams of human children that have been scared by specialized agents who work for Monsters, Inc. called "scarers". There are also companies that rival Monsters, Inc. in this endeavor, such as Fear Co. and Scream Industries.
The city also provides universities at which monsters can study to scare, the most prominent in the storyline being Monsters University for its outstanding Scaring Program. One of its rivals is a college called Fear Tech.
Appearing in both filmsEdit
James P. Sullivan or Sulley (voiced by John Goodman in the film series, Brian Cummings in the Monsters, Inc. video game, Joel McCrary in Disney Infinity and Disney Infinity 3.0, Christopher Swindle in Kingdom Hearts III) is a tall blue-furred giant ogre with horns, purple spots, razor-sharp claws on his hands, furry talons for feet, a theropod-like tail, spikes running down his back and shark-like fangs. Even though he excels at scaring children, he is kindhearted, thoughtful and affects a relaxed, amiable personality. In the film's beginning, he is "The Best Scarer" for several months running.
Monsters University depicts the college-age Sulley as a talented but lazy student whose father Bill had made a name for himself as a proficient Scarer. He and Mike start as arch-rivals in their introductory scaring class, but eventually form a friendship that lasts even beyond their expulsion from the university.
Michael "Mike" Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal in the film series, Carlos Alazraqui in the video games, Merchandise, attractions and commercials, Noah Johnston as his younger self in Monsters University), is a one-eyed green monster with a round body and two small horns. He also has claws, but they are not as sharp as Sulley's.
In Monsters, Inc. and Monsters University, Mike is depicted as a proud monster. Mike had a lonesome childhood and struggled to make friends. On a class field trip to Monsters, Inc., Mike was inspired to become a scarer professionally, but other students made fun of him because he was perceived as undeniably "unscary".
Even so, Mike was accepted into Monsters University's scare program, where he was introduced to James P. Sullivan in a SCARE 101 class. Mike initially disliked Sulley for his arrogance and bad work ethic. This dislike escalated into a major disruption made in class which resulted in Mike and Sulley's expulsion from the scare program. Mike then works out a deal with the dean of the school to re-enroll in the program on the stipulation that he wins the Games. Sulley joins Mike, despite Mike’s protestations.
Mike and Sulley joined the Oozma Kappa fraternity at Monsters University to qualify for the Games. Mike and Sulley begin to build a friendship as they compete together. During the final event, Sulley cheats, and both Mike and Sulley are expelled from school. After being expelled, the two were offered jobs as workers in the Monsters, Inc. mailroom nonetheless. They advance through the ranks until Sully is a scarer and Mike is his assistant. In Monsters, Inc., Mike runs Sulley's station on the scare floor and they are close friends and roommates. Mike is dating Celia Mae at this time. Additionally, Mike helps Sulley in his mission to save Boo.
Mike is portrayed as a comedian in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World Resort attraction, Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. Mike is not only known for his humor, but also his intelligence. He has made appearances in other Pixar movies, such as Finding Nemo, Cars, WALL-E, and Toy Story 3.
Randall Boggs (voiced by Steve Buscemi in the film series, Peter Kelamis in the Disney Infinity video game series, J.P. Manoux in the video game and Kingdom Hearts III) is a purple, eight-legged chameleon-like monster with an ability to change skin color and blend in with his surroundings. He is very flexible, nimble and is an excellent climber. He is Sulley's nemesis and Mike's arch-rival and former best friend.
In Monsters, Inc., he is Sulley's arch-rival on the scare floor, as well as Jeffrey Fungus' boss. The two vie for position as the area's top scream collector, a competition set up to encourage working. Ironically, Randall does manage to win top position for a few seconds, until Sulley comes back from a slumber party, thus winning it back. They also compete for The All-Time Scare Record. Henry J. Waternoose secretly approaches Randall and orders him to build a scream extraction machine, a vacuum-like device, and use it on kidnapped children to save the company and solving the energy crisis at large. One night, Randall leaves a door activated on the Scare Floor, when he was doing a bit of late-night work, and a little girl, later dubbed Boo, wanders out. Randall makes several attempts to get information out of Mike and Sulley on where the kid is. With Waternoose's help, Randall helps banish Mike and Sulley to the Himalayas and kidnap Boo. However, before they could extract the scream from her, Mike and Sulley return and Sulley destroys the machine, rescuing Boo. After a long chase through the millions of doors in the factory's door storage facility, Boo eventually conquers her fear of Randall and buys Sulley enough time to defeat him. Afterwards, Randall is forcibly exiled to the human world and winds up in a mobile home where the inhabitants beat him senseless, believing him to be an alligator. Sulley and Mike then destroy the door to prevent Randall from returning to the monster world.
In the prequel Monsters University, Randall enrolls at the same time as Mike and the two end up as friends and roommates. He is insecure and shy at first, having trouble controlling his camouflage abilities, but is a model bookworm. When Randall is accepted into Roar Omega Roar, the top fraternity in the university, he quickly abandons Mike in order retain his standing with the fraternity. He slowly becomes more ambitious and confident, and ultimately becomes less empathetic and more self-centered. After an embarrassing failure at the Scare Games to Sulley, an embittered Randall vows to himself to never be outdone by Sulley again, thus starting their unfortunate conflict in Monsters, Inc.
Roz (voiced by Bob Peterson) is a slug-like monster who is the key master and administrator of Scare Floor F. Near the end of the film, she is revealed to be Number One of the CDA, having been on an undercover assignment to investigate the company and expose Randall and Waternoose's scheme.
She also makes surprise appearances in three outtakes of the film: when Boo is in the toilet cubicle with Sulley, the CDA shaves and showers George Sanderson, and when Sulley proves to Boo that there is no one behind his closet door.
She appears briefly near the end of the prequel as a member of the CDA squad that responds to the break-in at the Door Lab. Although she wears a full-body protective suit that covers her face, her shape and voice give away her identity.
The CDA (short for Child Detection Agency and voiced by Rodger Bumpass, Bill Farmer, Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich, David Silverman and Teddy Newton) are an assortment of different monsters in hazmat suits whose main job is to respond to any reported incidents of contact between monsters and children or their belongings, since it is believed that human objects are toxic. They isolate and destroy any items accidentally brought back into the monster world. Any monsters that comes in contact with a human object are quickly and forcibly decontaminated while having a neck cone applied afterwards.
They first appear when George Sanderson gets a sock on him and they had to decontaminate him after the sock is destroyed. When Boo gets into Monstropolis and appears at Harryhausen's, the CDA end up decontaminating the building and then disinfected the patrons. They later find the bag containing Boo that Mike and Sulley left behind at the restaurant, which traced them back to Monsters, Inc. where they end up searching the building. In one moment, two of the CDA members ask Sulley for an autograph to give to Bethany, the daughter of agent 00002, whom he mentions. Henry J. Waternoose had the CDA called in to cut the power to Boo's door as soon as it lands so as to contain Boo and arrest Mike and Sulley. Mike does a diversion that involved throwing one of Boo's socks on one of the agents and then had the other agents chase him. This trick enabled the CDA Agents to be present when Henry confesses his motives that involved abducting children to keep Monsters, Inc. alive. The CDA Agents arrest Waternoose as Mike and Sulley discover that Roz is the Number One of the CDA. During the credits, a CDA agent directs a monster to his seat during Mike and Sulley's play "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me".
In Monsters University, the CDA are called when Mike and Sulley had entered a door that led to a human area. After Mike and Sulley make it back to Monsters University, they are taken away by the CDA.
The Abominable Snowman (voiced by John Ratzenberger) or Yeti, is a white-furred monster from Monstropolis who got banished to the Himalayas in the human world. He is an expert of making snow cones. He greets Sulley and Mike when Waternoose and Randall banish them to the Himalayas. While the Abominable Snowman tries to make Mike and Sulley feel at home in his abode, he understands Sulley must rescue Boo, and tells him of a Nepalese village at the foot of the mountain whereupon they can regain access to the monster world. Despite everything, the Abominable Snowman seems to have made the best of his fate and genuinely seems to enjoy the human world.
In Monsters University, he was shown to have worked as a mailroom supervisor at Monsters, Inc.. He warns Mike and Sulley not to mess with the mail which is a crime punished by banishment (which possibly hints why he was banished).
Appearing in Monsters, Inc.Edit
Boo (voiced by Mary Gibbs) is a 2-year-old human girl who becomes Sulley and Mike's friend.
During Randall's secret late-night work on the Scare Floor, Boo gets into the factory and Sulley tries various attempts to put her back, none of which worked, so he eventually puts her inside a duffle bag. When Sulley brings this up with Mike at Harryhausen's, Boo gets out and frightens the patrons; the CDA have to "decontaminate" the restaurant. While Mike and Sulley are at home, they discover that the girl is not toxic after all. Sulley quickly grows attached to the girl and names her "Boo". The next day, they smuggle her into the factory disguised as a child of one of Sulley's relatives, and Mike attempts to return her through her door. Randall tries to kidnap Boo, but kidnaps Mike by mistake. Boo may not be afraid of Sulley, but when she was brought into the simulation room after Mike and Sulley escaped from Randall, she ended up severely frightened by Sulley's roar. When Mike and Sulley tried to return Boo to her home, Mr. Waternoose had Mike and Sulley exiled to the Himalayas. Sulley returns to the factory and rescues Boo from Randall's Scream Extractor. During the chase through the large storage vault, Boo's laughter ends up causing all the doors to operate. Eventually, Boo gets over being afraid of Randall, and helps to defeat him. Sulley and Mike are able to access Boo's door, but Mr. Waternoose and the CDA send it back to the Scare Floor. Mike distracts the CDA, while Sulley escapes with Boo and her door, although Waternoose follows. The CDA's undercover leader is revealed to be Roz, and she allows Sulley and Mike 5 minutes to return Boo to her world. Once Sulley and Mike have returned Boo to her room, her door is put through the shredder. Sometime later, Mike takes Sulley aside revealing he has rebuilt Boo's door requiring only one more piece which Sulley had taken as a memento, the one taped to his clipboard. Sulley inserts the last piece, reactivates the door and enters to find Boo there.
Monsters, Inc. employeesEdit
Henry J. Waternoose IIIEdit
Henry J. Waternoose III (voiced by James Coburn) is a five-eyed humanoid crustacean-like monster who is the CEO of Monsters, Inc.. The company has been in Waternoose's family for 3 generations as he had inherited the company from his father at the age of 142. Waternoose also previously had a mentoring relationship with Sulley. The monster wants to be the best one ever.
Waternoose is first seen where he reminds Thaddeus Bile and the other trainees about the dangers of a human child getting into Monstropolis after Thaddeus left the door opened. He has been impressed with Sulley's progress. However, Mr. Waternoose is distraught to learn that the impending energy crisis is increasing, due to many children being desensitized and being unable to be scared by monsters, which might put the company on the verge of being shut down.
When Sulley tells Waternoose he can get the company through the energy crisis, he tells Sulley to tell that to the board of directors. When Boo is eventually discovered and Sulley and Mike wanted to return her home, Waternoose agrees to help them, but he later reveals that he and Randall are hand in glove. Randall was planning to kidnap Boo and several more children to extract their screams to fight the energy crisis and that Mr. Waternoose himself is just an accomplice to Randall's plan.
At that point, Waternoose betrayed both Sulley and Mike by exiling them to the Himalayas, though Waternoose would later regret his actions. After Sulley and Mike defeat Randall and trap him in the Everglades, Mr. Waternoose has called in the CDA to help apprehend Boo and arrest Sulley and Mike, trying to frame them as the criminals responsible for the incident. Sulley and Mike trick Mr. Waternoose into exposing his and Randall's wrongdoings. With this incriminating evidence, the CDA arrests Mr. Waternoose. As he is being dragged away, Mr. Waternoose yells at Sulley, claiming that he destroyed the company and that the energy crisis will only get worse because of him before he is pulled out of the room. Mr. Waternoose is last seen loaded onto the CDA's van and taken to prison as Sulley becomes the new CEO of Monsters, Inc., proving Mr. Waternoose's theory incorrect by changing the company's approach from scaring to laughter, allowing the company to gain enough power to end the energy crisis for good. It is presumed Mr. Waternoose regretted his actions after hearing of the company's update.
Despite not appearing in the prequel Monsters University, Waternoose is seen in a photo at the end of the movie shaking hands with Mike and Sulley as they are being promoted to becoming a Scare Team.
Celia Mae (voiced by Jennifer Tilly) is a one-eyed monster with snake-like hair and tentacles for legs. She works as a receptionist at Monsters, Inc. and is Mike Wazowski's girlfriend. When Mike is at a date with Celia at Harryhausen's, a sushi restaurant, Boo made herself known as the CDA raid the place and use a device that caused an energy dome that "decontaminated" Harryhausen's. Celia was among the monsters who were decontaminated at that time, which then forces her and her snakes hairs to wear neck cones after enduring the decontamination, much to her embarrassment. As a result, Celia is now angry at Mike and she confronts him the next day, and she unintentionally slips Mike's involvement in the incident the previous night while scolding him, which Randall discovers. When Mike and Sulley were being chased by Randall, Celia angrily grabbed onto Mike threatening to break up with him if he did not tell her what was happening; though Mike stated that they are trying to get Boo back to her room, Celia didn't believe him at first until Boo appeared over Sulley's shoulder. Celia does a diversion by announcing that Randall had broken the Scare Record. She is seen again at the end of the film, having fully recovered and made amends with Mike, and tells him that a box full of magazines has just arrived. Both she and Mike are surprised to see that Mike has made the cover of the magazine. During the credits, Celia takes part in Mike and Sulley's play "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me".
Despite not appearing in Monsters University, Celia is seen in a photo in Mike's locker room, where he puts up a new photo of himself and Sulley in their first day as a Scarer Team, next to Celia's near the end of the movie.
Jeffrey Fungus (voiced by Frank Oz) is Randall's red-skinned three-eyed assistant. Despite being partnered with Fungus, Randall seems to be annoyed by his antics and would often abuse him and boss him around. Fungus also is terrified by Randall's behavior and his involvement in the plot to kidnap human children and extract their screams forcibly, but feels either blackmailed or too intimidated to confront Randall, and is inwardly glad that Mike and Sulley are sabotaging the sinister conspiracy. When Randall attempts to test the extraction machine on Mike, Sulley puts Fungus on the chair and rescues Mike. The scream machine renders Fungus nearly unconscious and blanches him white, showing that the machine asphyxiates its victims. In the end following Randall's defeat and Waternoose's arrest, Fungus is forgiven for his involvement and is now happy taking on a job of making children laugh to collect more power.
Needleman and SmittyEdit
Needleman and Smitty (both voiced by Dan Gerson in the film, Stephen Stanton in Monsters at Work) are two monsters that work as maintenance and errand monsters at Monsters, Inc.. Both of them worship Sulley and the ground that he walks upon. One of their jobs at Monsters, Inc. is to operate the Door Shredder, a woodchipper-like device that shreds the doors of children that are not afraid of monsters.
In one of the outtakes of the film, Smitty accidentally calls Sullivan "Solomon", while another outtake sees the Door Shredder shred the door too fast; it later runs backstage with them holding on to it, almost destroying the backstage equipment and props. Needleman and Smitty are also part of the company play, taking the roles as Randall and Fungus respectively.
Scarers of Scare Floor FEdit
The Scarers of Scare Floor F are the co-workers at Monsters, Inc.. Apart from James P. Sullivan and Randall Boggs, among these are:
- Augustus "Spike" Jones - An red slug-like monster with tons of retractable purple spikes on his back. In "Monsters University", it was shown that Spike had graduated from Fear Tech and was a former worker at Fear Co.
- Bob Peterson (voiced by Jack Angel) - A light blue dinosaur-like monster with removable teeth. He is named after Bob Peterson.
- George Sanderson (voiced by Samuel Lord Black) - A one-horned furry monster who is good friends with Mike, Sulley, Lanky, and Claws. In Monsters University, he was a member of the Jaws Theta Chi fraternity. In Monsters, Inc., when George emerged from one of the doors with a sock on him, his assistant Charlie sees the sock and shouts "23-19" which ended up calling in the CDA to take care of the situation. After the sock is removed and destroyed, George is then shaved, showered, and applied a neck cone to him. This becomes a running gag, as when in the locker room, the toys that Sulley hid in a nearby locker fell on George causing Charlie to shout "23-19" which caused the CDA to work on him again. When Charlie picks out a door to a house in the Himalayas, Sulley emerges from it and unknowingly placed a sock on him. Charlie shouts "23-19", but this time, George shoved the sock in Charlie's mouth and banished him by throwing him through the door but he escaped through the door and was with George seeing Waternoose being out in the CDA van.
- Harley P. Gerson - An orange monster with only a large mouth and two legs.
- Harry "Bud" Lucky - A thin turquoise Octopus monster with long shaggy purple hair covering his face.
- Joe Ranft - A purple monster with huge fists and three eyes. He is named after Joe Ranft.
- Nicholas "Lanky" Schmidt (voiced by Bob Bergen) - A monster with a small head and long arms and legs who is good friends with Pete "Claws" Ward and George Sanderson. When interviewed about the "kid-tastrophe", he claimed Boo flew over him and used laser vision to blast a car.
- Pete "Claws" Ward (voiced by Joe Ranft) - A blue crocodile-like monster with retractable sharp claws and horrifying breath who is good friends with his assistant. When working on one door, he ran out and told his assistant that the child he tried to scare almost touched him resulting in his assistant calling for a door shredder making it the 58th door the company lost this week. He appears to be less fearsome than he tries to make himself look, as he was seen despairing at his aforementioned failed scare attempt and later crying during Mike's solo number in the company play.
- Ricky Plesuski - A green monster with a huge mouth filled with sharp teeth, snail-like eyes, and eight legs. In "Monsters University", it is shown that Ricky had graduated from Fear Tech and was a former worker at Fear Co and Scream Industries.
- Josh Rivera (voiced by Lee Unkrich) - A tall, slender orange monster with six tentacles for arms and four shorter tentacles for legs.
- Theodore "Ted" Pauley (voiced by Katherine Ringgold) - A purple monster with a Gorilla-like stature and 16 removable eyes.
In an outtake of the film, as the scarers make their entrance to Scare Floor F, Sulley trips and falls, causing a domino effect where all the other scarers fall as well. After everybody gets tripped over, a crew member peeks his head out clapping the upside-down clapperboard.
Assistants to the Scarers of Floor FEdit
- Betty (voiced by Teresa Ganzel) - A light blue monster who is the assistant of Rivera.
- Charlie Proctor (voiced by Philip Proctor) - A blue monster with snail-like eyes and tentacles for arms that is the assistant of George Sanderson. He would often freak out whenever a human object would come in contact with George, leading to the latter's forcible decontamination by the CDA.
- Chuck (voiced by Danny Mann) - A pink frog-like monster with four arms and also assists Claws Ward.
- Stuart - A turquoise monster with crab-like legs and a stalk with one eye who assists Harley Gerson.
- Frank (voiced by Paul Eiding) - A one-eyed four-armed green monster with no visible mouth that has a ruff of fur around his stalk. He also assists Bob Peterston.
- Kevin - The assistant of Ted Pauley and is a yellow Chalooby.
- Marge - (voiced by Mickie McGowan) The assistant of Schmidt and a starfish-like monster.
- Glenn - A light green slender monster with around 4 or 5 legs who assists Joe J.J. Ranft.
- Eric - The assistant of Lucky and is a red Chalooby.
- Waxford - A five-eyed monster with tentacles for legs that is the assistant of Spike. He was mentioned by Mike as having shifty eyes and was later seen with Randall asking if he knows anything about Boo.
- Zack - A 3-eyed pistachio-like monster who assists Ricky.
Thaddeus Bile (voiced by Jeff Pidgeon) is a trainee Scarer who is also called "Phlegm". He was seen at the beginning of the movie botching his training by leaving the door open as well as being scared by the simulation child (voiced by Lisa Raggio) causing him to slip on a soccer ball and fall on some jacks. By the end of the film, he begins working on Scare Floor F where he has successfully made a child laugh by slipping on a soccer ball and falling on some jacks again.
Flint (voiced by Bonnie Hunt) is an employee at Monsters, Inc. that manages the simulation tests that monsters must pass in order to become scarers. Ms. Flint is a tall, red and black monster with dark red fins attached to her eyes, has long, sharp claws, wears a black jacket and a long, snakelike tail.
Tony (voiced by Guido Quaroni) is a tall, slender orange monster with a moustache, four tentacles for arms and five shorter tentacles for legs. He is a grocer that works at Tony's Grossery and was first seen telling Mike and Sulley that somebody is about to break the All-Scare Record and throws them blood oranges while wishing them the best of luck.
Ted is the largest monster in the movie; he's so big, only his elephant-like legs, covered with large, coarse brown scales, are shown at all. He also seems to be the only monster that can't talk, instead crowing like a rooster. He is shown at a crossroads waiting for the light to change with Mike and Sulley. Sulley yells "Good Morning" up at him, he crows back, then the light turns green, and Ted stumps across the road, causing an earthquake with every step.
Appearing in Monsters UniversityEdit
Dean Abigail HardscrabbleEdit
Dean Abigail Hardscrabble (voiced by Helen Mirren) is the strict dean of Monsters University. She is a red dragon-like monster with centipede-like legs and red bat wings. She was modeled after a type of centipede called Scolopendra gigantea, also known as the Amazonian giant centipede. When Dean Hardscrabble attended Monsters University in her youth, she was a member of the Eta Hiss Hiss sorority and is the founder and a four-time consecutive champion of the Scare Games.
She first appears where she flies into Professor Derek Knight's class at the beginning of the first day. She then also appears during the Scare Exam at the end of the semester that helps to weed out the least-worthy scarers from the University's School of Scaring. Mike was kicked out as Hardscrabble considered him "not scary", and Sulley was kicked out when he performed an incorrect scare due to his lack of studying and preparation. Mike later finds out that the only way to get back into the scaring program is to compete in the Scare Games with a fraternity of rejected monsters called Oozma Kappa. As a result, Mike makes a deal with Dean Hardscrabble that if Oozma Kappa wins the Games, they will be reinstated back into the scaring program. Otherwise if they lose, Mike will have to leave the school. Sensing this opportunity, Sulley offers to join in Oozma Kappa allowing the team to gain entry.
During the Scare Games, Dean Hardscrabble is secretly watching Mike and Sulley competing from afar, aware and expecting that they are both going to fail. For the Toxicity challenge after Oozma Kappa came in last place, Hardscrabble stated to Mike that only a miracle can save him from expulsion. By coincidence before she could even finish her sentence, one miracle actually happened when Brock Pearson announces that Jaws Theta Chi is disqualified for using an illegal protective sting ointment during the Toxicity challenge which puts Oozma Kappa back into the competition. Dean Hardscrabble then keeps an eye on Oozma Kappa during the remaining challenges.
But after Oozma Kappa wins the Games when they beat Roar Omega Roar in the final round with the scare simulators, Sulley confesses to Hardscrabble that he cheated by setting Mike's simulator level to easy just to make Oozma Kappa win due to Mike's inability to scare. An outraged Hardscrabble orders him to leave the campus when all of a sudden, she is alerted that Mike had secretly snuck into the door lab, prompting Sulley to go there to save his friend, despite Harscrabble's warnings.
Dean Hardscrabble then shuts down the door in question, which led to a cabin at a campsite in a park until the authorities arrive, but Mike and Sulley manage to escape back by scaring several human adults in the form of a team of park rangers. Mike's break-in led to him being expelled from Monsters University along with Sulley for rigging a game score, but Hardscrabble was sad to let them go. While considered as a major offense to her school, they ended up surprising her (something which no one has ever done). Dean Hardscrabble had the rest of Oozma Kappa enroll into the Scaring Program, admitting to Sulley and Mike that she was impressed by their performances in the Games.
Professor Derek KnightEdit
Professor Derek Knight (voiced by Alfred Molina) is a dinosaur-like monster who teaches SCARING 101: Intro to Scaring at the School of Scaring. He often weeds out the least worthy students so that the best of the best can move on to becoming Scarers. Professor Knight is also shown to be a fan of Bill Sullivan, Sully's father. When he is first seen during the exam that would determine who will take part in the School of Scaring, Dean Abigail Hardscrabble "assists" him where she weeds out Mike for not being scary and Sully for doing an incorrect scare. Professor Knight is later seen with Dean Hardscrabble when Sully admits that he rigged Mike's scare simulator during the final Scare Games event. During the credits, he has a card saying that he worked at Fear. Co.
Professor William BrandywineEdit
Professor William Brandywine is a round monster with yellow fur whose eyes are invisible. He works at Monsters University's School of Engineering where he teaches Scream Canister Designs to his students. Don Carlton's character model was used to make Professor Brandywine.
The Librarian (voiced by Marcia Wallace) is an elderly female monster that works at the library at Monsters University. She is a large slug-headed teacher with six monstrous tentacles for legs and gray hair. The Librarian is involved in the "Avoid the Parent" challenge of the Scare Games where the Librarian's reaction to noise is made to emulate the danger of parents and how a Scarer has to get along without being caught by one. Any team who is caught by the Librarian is thrown out of the library and eliminated from the competition. That is what happened to Slugma Slugma Kappa when they were caught by the Librarian. The Oozma Kappa group gives up on silence after Sulley accidentally knocks over with a ladder and they start a noisy display to distract and confuse the Librarian to get their flag.
Oozma Kappa studentsEdit
Oozma Kappa (OΚ, suggestive of "OK") is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. It is mostly filled with good-natured misfits. Besides the protagonists Mike and Sulley, among the members of Oozma Kappa are:
- Don Carlton (voiced by Joel Murray) - Don Carlton is a red-skinned mature monster with a bat-like mustache and octopus-like tentacles for arms who returned to Monsters University to learn how to use computers and maybe consider trying for scaring. He is the President of Oozma Kappa. Don later got engaged to Scott "Squishy" Squibbles' mother Sherri. During the credits, it is shown that Don had gotten a job as a scarer at Monsters, Inc., under the moniker "Dangerous Don Carlton".
- Art (voiced by Charlie Day) - Art is a purple furry monster with an arch shape and a questionable background (in a scene he revealed that he was in jail before). It is shown during the credits that he got a job as a scarer at Monsters, Inc..
- Scott "Squishy" Squibbles (voiced by Peter Sohn) - Scott Squibbles is a five-eyed jelly monster whose mother owns the fraternity house. It is shown during the credits that he got a job as a scarer at Monsters, Inc., under the moniker 'Scott "Scary" Squibbles'.
- Terri and Terry Perry (voiced by Sean Hayes and Dave Foley) - Terri and Terry are a two-headed monster with one eye on each head, four arms, and tentacles for legs. Terri's head has one horn while Terry's head has two horns. Terri, a dance major, is the naively optimistic one of the two while Terry, an English major, is more morose but has a fondness for close-up magic. They are very different personality wise but they work well together as shown in the Scare Games. It is shown during the credits that they got a job as a scarer at Monsters, Inc., under the moniker "Terrifying Terry and Terri Perry".
Roar Omega Roar studentsEdit
Roar Omega Roar (RΩR, suggestive of "roar") is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. It is made up of the best of the best as they are the smartest, most-skilled, and scariest monsters at Monsters University. Besides Randall, among the members of Roar Omega Roar are:
- Johnny J. "The Jaw" Worthington III (voiced by Nathan Fillion) - Johnny J. Worthington III is the confident President of Roar Omega Roar who is a big bully to Mike Wazowski, as well is the rest of the RORs. He competes against Mike in the last round of the Scare Games. During the credits, it is shown that Johnny got a job as a Scarer at Fear Co.
- Chet "The Claw" Alexander (voiced by Bobby Moynihan) - Chet Alexander is a one-eyed lisping crab monster that serves as the Vice President of Roar Omega Roar. During the credits, it is shown that Chet got a job as a scarer at Fear Co. He competes against Terri and Terry in the final round of the Scare Games.
- Chip Goff - Chip Goff is a purple monster with two horns and vampire fangs who roars like a Wookiee. He is the only member of the fraternity (Sulley not included) to wear a fraternity letterman jacket: the rest of the fraternity wear cardigans or letter sweaters in accordance with their "elite" image. He competes against Squishy in the final round of the Scare Games.
- "Howling" Javier Rios - An insect-like monster with four arms and pink eyes. He competes against Art in the final round of the Scare Games. During the credits, it is shown that he got a job as a scarer at Monsters, Inc.
- Reggie "Bruiser" Jacobs - Reggie Jacobs is a dark green monster with three eyes and grass-like hair all over his body. He competes against Don Carlton in the first wave, final round of the Scare Games during the scare simulator and loses to him.
Python Nu Kappa studentsEdit
Python Nu Kappa (PΝΚ, suggestive of "pink") is one of the six sororities at Monsters University. The female students here - aside from being near identical to each other with minor color differences - are smart, frozen-hearted, and merciless. Every time they get announced or tell Oozma Kappa they're "going to rip them to pieces", they all hiss and their eyes glow even in the dark. In the Scare Games, Python Nu Kappa was eliminated after they got lost in the maze and accidentally scared teenagers during the "Don't Scare the Teen" event. According to the "Monsters University Essential Guide", all of the members of Python Nu Kappa want to work at a crematorium. Among the members of Python Nu Kappa are:
- Carrie Williams (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed pink monster with red hair who is the fearless President of Python Nu Kappa. During the credits, it is shown that Carrie got a job as a scarer at Scream Industries (although the Scare Card picture shown is actually Britney's).
- Britney Davis (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed light green monster with pink hair.
- Crystal DuBois (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed purple monster with red hair.
- Heather Olson (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed blue monster with purple hair.
- Naomi Jackson (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed pink monster with purple hair who can breathe fire.
- Taylor Holbrook (voiced by Beth Behrs) - A three-eyed purple monster with pink hair.
Jaws Theta Chi studentsEdit
Jaws Theta Chi (JΘΧ, suggestive of "jocks") is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. The students here are big on brawn and small on brainpower. In the Scare Games, Jaws Theta Chi was disqualified for using a protective jelly that would prevent them from painful swelling upon coming in contact with the "child's toys" (glowing sea urchins) during the "Toxicity Challenge" event. Besides George Sanderson, among the members of Jaws Theta Chi are:
- Roy "Big Red" O'Growlahan (voiced by John Cygan) - A big red monster with eye stalks who is the President of Jaws Theta Chi. He competed with an Omega Howl student to get Sulley into their group.
- Dirk Pratt - A yellow furry monster with sharp teeth and a mace at the end of his tail.
- Omar Harris - A small bean-like monster with six legs and bat-like wings. During the credits, it is shown that he got a job at Scream Industries.
- Percy Boleslaw - A one-eyed purple monster with horns.
- Baboso Goretega - A blue slug-like monster who appears in promotional material for the film. He is never seen in the final film (except for a minor appearance in a Fear Tech jacket).
Slugma Slugma Kappa studentsEdit
Slugma Slugma Kappa (ΣΣΚ, suggestive of "eek") is one of the six Sororities at Monsters University. The students here spend most of their days working out and running drills to perfect their scaring skills. In the Scare Games, Slugma Slugma Kappa was eliminated after they were caught by the Librarian during the "Avoid the Parent" event and thrown out thanks to a distraction from Oozma Kappa. Among the members of Slugma Slugma Kappa are:
- Carla Delgado - A pink monster with tentacles for arms and legs who is the President of Slugma Slugma Kappa. According to the "Monsters University Essential Guide", Carla is an ace swimmer.
- Brynn Larson - A purple three-eyed bean-shaped monster who can run fast.
- Debbie Gabler - A turquoise monster with turquoise hair. She has one eyestalk on top of her hair.
- Donna Soohoo - A purple snake-like monster with hair all over her head that is covering her face. During the credits, she gets a job at Monsters, Inc.
- Maria Garcia - An orange monster with parted hair covering one eye.
- Violet Steslicki - A one-eyed purple monster with brown twisted horns.
Eta Hiss Hiss studentsEdit
Eta Hiss Hiss (ΗSS, suggestive of "hiss") is one of the six Sororities at Monsters University. The students here have a goth and emo style. This was the sorority that Dean Hardscrabble was a part of when she attended Monsters University. In the Scare Games, Eta Hiss Hiss was eliminated after they didn't find good hiding places in the "Hide and Sneak" event. According to the "Monsters University Fearbook" and the "Monsters University Extensive Guide", the members of Eta Hiss Hiss are an award-winning A Cappella group. Among the members of Eta Hiss Hiss are:
- Rosie Levin
- Nadia Petrov
- Sonia Lewis
- Susan Jensen
- Rhonda Boyd
- Nancy Kim
Brock Pearson (voiced by Tyler Labine) is a massive purple bird-like monster two horns on his head and sharp claws on his hands. He is the Vice-President of the Greek Council. Brock and Claire commentate on the Scare Games.
Claire Wheeler (voiced by Aubrey Plaza) is a three-eyed grey monster who is a member of the Greek Council. She and Brock commentate on the Scare Games. Claire was credited as "Greek Council President".
The Slug Student (voiced by Bill Hader) is a student that attended Monsters University. When school starts, the Slug Student slithers to get to his class. By the time he gets to his classroom in the post-credits scene, he learns from Ed the janitor (voiced by Philip Proctor) that the school year is over and that he missed it and slithers home.
Ms. Sherry SquibblesEdit
Ms. Sherry Squibbles (voiced by Julia Sweeney) is a monster who is the mother of Scott Squibbles. She also owns the Oozma Kappa fraternity house. By the end of the film, Sherry gets engaged to Don Carlton. While she maintains the appearance of a sweet-natured housewife, aspects of her personality seem to reflect a wild youth, such as her taste in music and her participation in college party activities.
Ms. Karen GravesEdit
"Frightening" Frank McCay (voiced by John Krasinski) is a superstar Scarer who inspires Mike to want to be a Scarer. He is a tall, light blue monster with retractable claws, numerous spikes on his head, and five tentacles as legs.
Archie the Scare PigEdit
Archie the Scare Pig is the mascot of Fear Tech (a rival school of Monsters University) that Sulley steals. Mike later catches Archie by tipping over a trash can and trapping him. The other students gave Sulley the credit for catching Archie much to the dismay of Mike.
The Smile SquadEdit
The Smile Squad is the team that helped Mike get registered for his first day and give him information about Monsters University. All of their names rhyme with "ay". Among the members are:
- Jay - A pink monster with two eyes on his head and tentacles for hands and legs. He contacts incoming students and directs them to the registration hall.
- Kay - A yellow bean-shaped monster with three eyes. She works at the registration table.
- Trey - A blue slug-like monster. He is in charge of taking the photo for a student's I.D. card.
- Fay - A blue monster with blue hair, two eyes on top of her head and tentacles for arms and legs. She gives new students an orientation tour of the university's facilities.
- Ray - A blue monster with two eyes on his head. He is stationed at the dormitories and assigns new students their room.
Monsters, Inc. Professional ScarersEdit
During Mike's childhood, his class encountered various Scarers in their field trip to Monsters, Inc.. Besides Frank McCay, among the famous Scarers are:
- "Jumping" Jerry Jablonski - A light green monster who is a recolored version of Rivera.
- "Screaming" Bob Gunderson - A shaggy red muskox-like monster with curly horns, bushy eyebrows that conceal his eyes completely, and a large mustache.
- Betty Stevenson - A red one-eyed monster with two large cow-like horns.
- Carl Johnson - A purple one-eyed monster with a single horn on his head.
- Carla "Killer Claws" Benitez - A tall yellow monster with long purple claws who was seen during Oozma Kappa's "field trip" to Monsters, Inc..
- Carol Dallmar - A yellow monster who is a recolored version of Ricky Plesuski.
- Clive Carver - A light blue monster who is a recolored version of Augustus "Spike" Jones.
- Darryl Payne - A green monster with long, thin arms and legs, three eyes, and sharp spikes covering his body.
- Dorothy "The Pink Widow" Newbern - A pink pompom spider-like monster.
- Earl "The Terror" Thompson - A blue monster with four eyes and a dark blue mustache resembling a tarantula. He was a famous scarer working at Monsters, Inc., who had a particularly long career, continuing to scare at old age.
- Hank "The Tank" Knapp - A dark green, toad-like monster. In the earlier parts of the film, Hank argues with Frank about the superiority between Monsters University and Fear Tech.
- Jason Chiang - A red-and-yellow-striped monster with bat-like wings.
- Raj Kapoor - A purple Indian rhinoceros-like monster with spike-like "hair" and a short horn on his nose.
- Rufus Remerez - A maroon monster that is a recolored version of Ricky Plesuski.
- The Kowalski Sisters - Tracey, Stacey and Casey are a three-headed purple dragon-like monster.
- Tommy Gill - A rectangular yellow monster with one eye, scale-like hair, and dark yellow spots.
- Walter "Wailing Walt" Friedman - A shaggy yellow monster with three horns on his head and two upward-pointing fangs.
- Willy Nowicki - A blue slug-like monster with bat wings and two horns on his head.
- Sheldon "Lockness" Kayola - A yellow mug-like bat with oranges in his horns on top of his bald soft head.
- "Mike Wazowski Mania". Mike Wazowski Mania. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- "Learning from failure - The inside story on how IBM out-foxed Intel with the Xbox 360", Dean Takahashi, Electronic Business, May 1, 2006
- O'Hara, Helen (February 11, 2013). "Helen Mirren Set For Monsters University". Empire. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Reynolds, Simon (February 21, 2013). "'Monsters University' unveils character posters, ID cards". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Eisenberg, Eric (August 20, 2011). "Monsters University Voice Cast And Plot Details Announced At D23". Cinema Blend. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- Rizvi, Samad (February 12, 2013). "New 'Monsters University' Characters Revealed, Sean Hayes and Charlie Day Join Cast". Pixar Times. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Rome, Emily (April 16, 2013). "Nathan Fillion, Bonnie Hunt, John Krasinski, more voice cast revealed for Pixar's 'Monsters University' -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 16, 2013.