Michael Y. Scudder
Michael Yale Scudder Jr. (born January 9, 1971) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Previously, he was a partner in the Chicago office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
Michael Y. Scudder
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit|
|Assumed office |
May 21, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Richard Posner|
Michael Yale Scudder Jr.
January 9, 1971
Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.
Sarah Rose Schoenle (m. 1993)
|Education||Saint Joseph's College (BBA)|
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (JD)
In 1989, Scudder graduated from Bishop Dwenger High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Scudder received his Bachelor of Business Administration from Saint Joseph's College as co-valedictorian, and a Juris Doctor in 1998 from the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Scudder worked as an auditor for Ernst and Young before attending law school and is a Certified Public Accountant.
Before entering private practice, Scudder served as a law clerk to Judge Paul V. Niemeyer of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and to Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1999 to 2000.
He then served as an attorney for two years at Jones Day in Cleveland, Ohio. Scudder later entered public service as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York and as Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General on the National Security team. From 2007 to 2009, he served in the White House Counsel's office and as the General Counsel of the National Security Council.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On February 12, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Scudder to an undetermined seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. On February 15, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. President Trump nominated Scudder to the seat vacated by Judge Richard Posner, who retired on September 2, 2017. On March 21, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On April 19, 2018, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 21–0 vote. On May 14, 2018, his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 90–0. Scudder received his commission on May 21, 2018.
- "Campaign Cabinet-Motion to Lead: The Campaign for Northwestern Pritzker School of Law". Pritzker School of Law, Northwestern University. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "Major Gifts-Motion to Lead: The Campaign for Northwestern Pritzker School of Law". Pritzker School of Law, Northwestern University. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Eleventh Wave of Judicial Nominees" White House, February 12, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Meisner, Jason; Skiba, Katherine (June 23, 2017). "4 finalists for U.S. attorney's job in Chicago emerge". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Perez Jr, Juan (June 1, 2015). "CPS chief Barbara Byrd-Bennett resigns amid federal criminal investigation". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "Morning Spin: Cullerton throws budget shade at Rauner ahead of big speech". Chicago Tribune. February 13, 2018. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Sweet, Lynn (February 12, 2018). "Trump taps Scudder, St. Eve for Chicago based seats on Court of Appeals". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- PN1647 — Michael Y. Scudder — The Judiciary, congress.gov
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for March 21, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – April 19, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Michael Y. Scudder, of Illinois, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit)". United States Senate. May 14, 2018. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Board of Advisors". Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of Chicago. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "Allen County Marriage Records from State Indexes, 1958–1991, 1993–2004, 2006–2017". ACGSI.org. Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
- Michael Y. Scudder at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Michael Scudder at Ballotpedia
- Biography at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit