|Bishop of Guildford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Guildford|
|Other post(s)||Archdeacon of Lincoln|
|Born||22 November 1929|
|Spouse||Anne Devonald Roynon|
|Children||Three daughters, One son; Elizabeth Devonald; Andrew Mark Devonald; Margaret Rosamond Devonald; Helen Catherine Devonald. 11 Grandchildren. 5 great grandchildren.|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Oxford|
He was born in Romford, Essex, the son of Walter Granville Adie and Kate Emily Adie (née Parrish), and educated at Westminster School and St John's College, Oxford. He is a distant relative of the broadcaster and journalist Kate Adie.
He was ordained in 1955 and after a curacy at St Luke, Pallion, Sunderland he became Resident Chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury. After that he was Vicar of St Mark, Sheffield, Rural Dean of Hallam, Rector of Louth, and Archdeacon of Lincoln before being elevated to the Episcopate.
Adie played a significant role in introducing the measure in General Synod that led to the ordination of women priests. He was Chairman of the General Synod Board of Education and was appointed a CBE in the 1994 Birthday Honours for services to education.
He was married in 1957 to Anne Devonald Roynon (b.1930- d. 2013); they had three daughters and one son.
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Guildford Diocesan Herald
- Church web site Archived 2008-12-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Crockford's Clerical Directory1975-76 Lambeth, Church House, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2004/2005 (98th ed.). Church House Publishing. 2003. ISBN 0-7151-8129-7.
ADIE, The Rt Revd Michael Edgar. b.29. CBE94. St Jo Coll Ox BA52 MA56 Surrey Univ DUniv95. Westcott Ho Cam 52. d.54 p.55 c.83.
- "No. 53696". The London Gazette (Supplement). 10 June 1994. p. 8.