Memories of Matsuko
Memories of Matsuko (嫌われ松子の一生, Kiraware Matsuko no Isshō, "Life of despised Matsuko") is a 2006 Japanese film written and directed by Tetsuya Nakashima. It is based on a Japanese novel by Muneki Yamada.
|Memories of Matsuko|
Japanese film poster
|Directed by||Tetsuya Nakashima|
|Screenplay by||Tetsuya Nakashima|
|Based on||A novel|
by Muneki Yamada
|Music by||Gabriele Roberto|
|Edited by||Yoshiyuki Koike|
It has not yet received North American distribution, though in its North American premiere at the 2007 New York Asian Film Festival, the film received the Audience Award with an average rating of 9.2
The story begins with Sho's girlfriend breaking up with him who reasons her decision that he is a bore. Devastated and trying to cope with the situation he is sleeping at home when he is suddenly waken up by his father who is giving him a surprise visit while carrying an urn of ashes of Sho's aunt Matsuko with him. Unbeknownst to Sho his father had another sister, he is being asked to clean up the apartment of her. While cleaning up piles of trash he gradually learns more about the life of his deceased aunt Matsuko.
- Miki Nakatani – Matsuko Kawajiri (川尻 松子 Kawajiri Matsuko)
- Kana Okunoya – younger Matsuko Kawajiri
- Eita – Sho Kawajiri (川尻 笙 Kawajiri Shō): Matsuko's nephew. He moved to Tokyo to become a musician.
- Akira Emoto – Kozo Kawajiri (川尻 恒造 Kawajiri Kōzō): Matsuko's father. He has a sad and distant demeanour to Matsuko due to Kumi's illness.
- Teruyuki Kagawa – Norio Kawajiri (川尻 紀夫 Kawajiri Norio): Matsuko's brother. He is resentful of Matsuko because she destroyed the family.
- Mikako Ichikawa – Kumi Kawajiri (川尻 久美 Kawajiri Kumi): Matsuko's ill sister.
- Yusuke Iseya – Youichi Ryu (龍 洋一 Ryū Yōichi): A former student of Matsuko. He was one of the reasons Matsuko's life changed for the worse. He becomes a yakuza.
- Shosuke Tanihara – Shunji Saeki (佐伯 俊二 Saeki Shunji): A colleague teacher whom Matsuko thinks fondly of when she still works in school.
- Kankuro Kudo – Tetsuya Yamekawa: An aspiring writer who believes he is Osamu Dazai's rebirth.
- Gekidan Hitori – Takeo Okano (岡野 健夫 Okano Takeo): Tetsuya's rival, also an aspiring writer.
- Ryo Arakawa - Kenji Shimazu: A barber who stops Matsuko from committing suicide.
- Shinji Takeda - Yasushi Onodera: An aspiring pimp who was killed by Matsuko.
Memories of Matsuko was distributed theatrically in Japan on May 26, 2006 by Toho. The film won Miki Nakatani the award for Best Actress (along with her work in Lof and Christmas on July 24) and Best Actress at the Mainichi Film Concours and Japanese Academy Awards. The film also won Best Editing and Best Music Score at the Japanese Academy Awards.
2007 The Asian Film Awards - Best Actress Miki Nakatani, Best visual effect, Masahide Yanagawase, Best arts direct, Towako Kuwashima
2007 Japanese Academy Award Winner - Best Actress, Best Music, Best Editing
2006 Japanese Professional Award Winner - Best Actress 
- Galbraith IV 2008, p. 442.
- "Memories of Matsuko". Boxofficemojo. Retrieved March 04, 2012.
- Asian Cinema – While on the Road (2007). "NYAFF Audience Award and Final Comments". Asian Cinema – While on the Road. Retrieved January 8, 2008.