List of members of the 5th Northern Ireland Assembly
This is a list of the members of the fifth Northern Ireland Assembly, the unicameral devolved legislature of Northern Ireland. Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) elected on 5 May 2016 or subsequently co-opted are listed by party and by constituency.
|5th Northern Ireland Assembly|
|Meeting place||Parliament Buildings,|
|Term||12 May 2016 – 26 January 2017|
|Election||2016 assembly election|
|Government||Executive of the 5th Assembly|
|First Minister||Arlene Foster|
|deputy First Minister||Martin McGuinness|
Only the Democratic Unionist Party, Sinn Féin and an Independent Unionist participated in the 4th Northern Ireland Executive, which now comprised nine rather than 12 departments. The Ulster Unionist Party, Social Democratic and Labour Party and Alliance Party declined the roles they were entitled to, and under the Assembly and Executive Reform (Assembly Opposition) Act (Northern Ireland) 2016 the larger UUP and SDLP formed the first official Assembly Opposition.
|●||Democratic Unionist Party||Unionist||38||36|
|♦||Ulster Unionist Party||Unionist||16||16|
|♦||Social Democratic and Labour Party||Nationalist||12||12|
|♢||Alliance Party of Northern Ireland||Other||8||8|
|♢||Green Party in Northern Ireland||Other||2||2|
|♢||People Before Profit Alliance||Other||2||2|
|♢||Traditional Unionist Voice||Unionist||1||1|
|Roles at commencement: ● = Northern Ireland Executive (66); ♦ = Assembly Opposition (28); ♢ = Other opposition (13).|
- Jonathan Bell was suspended from the DUP on 18 Dec 2016.
- Once elected, the Speaker relinquishes party affiliation.
This is not the official seating plan
MLAs by partyEdit
MLAs by constituencyEdit
Changes since the electionEdit
|18 August 2016||North Antrim||Sinn Féin||Daithí McKay resigned.|
|30 August 2016||North Antrim||Sinn Féin||Philip McGuigan replaced Daithí McKay following the latter's resignation.|
|17 November 2016||Belfast West||Sinn Féin||Jennifer McCann stepped down.|
|7 December 2016||Belfast West||Sinn Féin||Órlaithí Flynn replaced Jennifer McCann following the latter's resignation.|
|18 December 2016||Strangford||Independent Unionist||DUP||Jonathan Bell suspended from the DUP.|
- "Northern Ireland Assembly election 2017 results". BBC News. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Changes to government departments | nidirect". nidirect. 8 February 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Assembly and Executive Reform (Assembly Opposition) Act (Northern Ireland) 2016". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Sinn Fein's Daithí McKay resigns over 'coaching' of Jamie Bryson ahead of Nama hearing". The Irish News. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Philip McGuigan is Sinn Fein's new North Antrim MLA after Daithi McKay resignation - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Sinn Fein's Jennifer McCann resigns as West Belfast MLA - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Órlaithí Flynn becomes MLA". www.sinnfein.ie. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "RHI scandal: Jonathan Bell suspended from DUP". BBC News. 18 December 2016. Retrieved 29 April 2017.