Members of the 24th Seanad
This is a list of the members of the 24th Seanad Éireann, the upper house of the Oireachtas (legislature) of Ireland. These Senators were elected on 27 April 2011 after postal voting closed. The Taoiseach's nominees were announced on 20 May 2011. The Seanad election took place 60 days after the 2011 general election for the Dáil. The 24th Seanad first met at Leinster House on 25 May 2011. Paddy Burke was elected as the new Cathaoirleach of the Seanad.
|24th Seanad Éireann|
|Meeting place||Leinster House|
|Term||25 May 2011 – 9 February 2016|
|Leader of the|
|Deputy Leader of the Seanad||Ivana Bacik|
|Leader of the|
Composition of the 24th SeanadEdit
The following table shows the composition by party when the 24th Seanad first met on 25 May 2011.
|Cult & Educ
|Ind & Comm
Effect of Changes over the lifetime of the 24th SenateEdit
|May 2011||Feb. 2016[na 1]|
- February 2016 column refers to the state of the parties after the 2016 general election.
List of senatorsEdit
- Note: The entries for Senators who were elected or appointed to fill vacancies are shown in italics
- De Bréadún, Deaglán (8 February 2011). "Ó Cuív announces details of what may be final Seanad election". The Irish Times.
- Elaine Edwards (20 May 2011). "McAleese appointed to Seanad". Irish Times. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Under the terms of the Constitution of Ireland, a general election for Seanad Éireann must take place within 90 days of the dissolution of Dáil Éireann by the President.
- "New Seanad holds first meeting". Irish Times. 24 May 2011. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Paddy Burke elected as Seanad Cathaoirleach". RTÉ News. 25 May 2011.
- "NUI Panel Full Results" (PDF). NUI Returning Office. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Senator Mark Daly expelled from Fianna Fáil parliamentary party for defying whip on water Bill". 21 December 2014.
- "Kerry Senator readmitted to the FF parliamentary party". Radio Kerry. 3 February 2015. Archived from the original on 16 May 2015.
- "Conservative senator Jim Walsh resigns from Fianna Fáil parliamentary party". 26 March 2015.
- "Resignation of Member". 4 June 2014. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014.
- "Gerard Craughwell wins Seanad by-election". RTÉ News. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Labour Senator Jimmy Harte resigns from Upper House". The Irish Times. 23 September 2015.
- "Averil Power quits Fianna Fáil party". RTÉ News. 25 May 2015.
- "Former Olympic athlete Eamonn Coghlan joins Fine Gael". TheJournal.ie. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Martin McAleese to resign from Seanad". RTÉ News. 1 February 2013.
- "Enda Kenny nominates Hildegarde Naughton to Seanad". RTÉ News. 19 July 2013.
- "Seanad passes abortion legislation second stage". RTÉ News. 16 July 2013.
- "Creighton says new party Renua Ireland about open politics". RTÉ News. 13 March 2015.
- "Former Labour Senator James Heffernan joins Social Democrats". Irish Independent. 3 September 2015.