Medina Danielle Oona Valbak (born Andrea Fuentealba Valbak, on 30 November 1982), known by the mononym Medina (Danish pronunciation: [meˈtiːnæ], Spanish: [meˈðina]), is a Danish-Chilean singer and songwriter. She currently has released seven studio albums. She became popular with various singles such as "Kun for mig". At the 2010 Danish Music Awards, she won female artist of the year, Album of the year, and Songwriter of the year.
|Birth name||Andrea Fuentealba Valbak|
|Born||30 November 1982|
|Genres||Pop, Dance, Electropop, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Songwriter, Actress|
|Labels||Labelmade, Parlophone, EMI, Ultra Records, Republic Records|
2007: Tæt påEdit
She released her first two single's in Denmark titled "Flå" ("Rip") and "Et Ojeblik" ("One Moment") in 2007. This was followed by her debut album, Tæt på (Close by).
2008-2010: Welcome To Medina, and Rise to FameEdit
She rose to fame primarily in parts of Western Europe in 2008 with the release of "Kun for mig" (which was later released in English as "You and I"), the lead single off her second album, Velkommen til Medina (Welcome to Medina). The single spent six weeks at number one on the Danish Singles Chart, eventually reaching triple-platinum status. The second single off the same album, "Velkommen til Medina" also chartes number one in Denmark which spent five weeks at the top of the singles chart and reached a platinum status there. Even Medina's third and fourth single, "Ensom" ("Lonely") and "Vi to" ("The two of us") peaked at number two in Denmark, and they both earned her a platinum-award at home.
In September 2009, Medina released an English-language version of "Kun for mig", titled You and I, in the UK, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This version reached thirty-nine on the UK Singles Chart and entered the top-ten on the German Singles Chart.
In 2009, two collaborative singles of Medina have also reached the top of the Danish charts. First is "100 dage" by Medina and Thomas Helmig and the second is "Mest ondt" by Burhan G featuring Medina.
Awards won by Medina include Best Danish Act at the 2009 and 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards. In 2010 Medina won six awards at the Danish Music Awards, she was awarded Danish Female Artist of the Year, Danish Album of the Year (Velkommen til Medina), New Danish Name of the Year, Danish Hit of the Year (Vi to), Danish Songwriter of the Year (together with Providers and Danish Producer of the Year (Providers for Medina).
In July 2010, Medina's international debut album, Welcome to Medina was released in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. It reached 9, 45, and 24th respectively. Apart from seven new songs, the album also includes English-language versions of the four singles off its Danish counterpart, including "Lonely" (English version of "Ensom"), it has been released as the second single from the album.
2011-2012: For Altid, ForeverEdit
In 2011 her Danish studio album For Altid was released, followed in 2012 by the English version titled Forever.
2013-2018: Hiatus, Small Projects, and ReturnEdit
From 2013-2015 Medina went on a short hiatus, and embarked on smaller projects, including releasing an EP, a live album, that are both primarily in Danish.
Since 2016 she has released two studio albums, We Survive (English studio album) in 2016, and Grim (Danish studio album) in 2018.
Danish studio albums
English studio albums
- Arrogant EP (2014)
- "Allmusic: Medina (Overview)". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Hung Medien: Medina "Kun for mig"". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Guld og platin 2010". IFPI Denmark). Archived from the original on 2014-12-19. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Hung Medien: Medina "Velkommen til Medina (song)"". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Guld og platin 2009". IFPI Denmark). Archived from the original on December 23, 2014. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Denmark's positions for Medina's singles". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "The Official Charts Company: Medina". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Charts.de (Singles)". Charts.de Media Control. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "Labelmade: Medina". Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 2010-07-03. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Soundvenue.com (in Danish)
- "Chartverfolgung / Medina /Longplay". Musicline.de. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Hung Medien: Medina "Velkommen til Medina (album)"". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Medina Official site
- Medina MySpace site
- Medina Video Interview (german page/english Video) Bonedo.de
- Medina discography at Discogs